30. Forceful means

Jeff

"Fuck it, I fold."

Rouge slapped her cards down on the table while I claimed triumph, collecting my pool of cash while Kate and Ann laughed. There were beers on the table and dinner had long been served, my hoodie hanging over my chair while I'd tied my hair back for the game. Ann had been the one to find the cards and a good ol' round of poker later I was a hundred bucks richer.

"Looks like Jeffy's buyin' a present for Snow after all," I cackled before taking a sip from my bottle, "I hope she's having fun with Toby, that fucker better bring me back my radio in one piece."

"You left it with Toby, you should expect a chance it's damaged," Kate teased, already tipsy. She was wearing a thermal top for once instead of her jacket and her hair was tied up, even Ann wore her hair back instead of over her face and revealing the empty socket that reminded me all too much of Thomas.

"I should've known better," I groaned, "man he's been gone a while. It's what, eight-ish?

"8:20," Rouge checked her watch before finishing off what was probably her ninth beer.

"Christ woman how high is your tolerance?"

"I'm barely feeling it, you see all this?" She gestured to herself, "this is 175 pounds of pure muscle. My body doesn't budge."

"Twenty of it is her tits alone," Kate snickered behind her hand to me while Rouge whipped a bottle cap at her head, both of them cackling like witches.

"Hey it's better than—!"

Ann's voice cut off as the dimmed lights suddenly went out above us, a collective groan echoing before Rouge got up to check the fridge. The light was off in there was well and she popped the cap on another beer before she joined us again.

"Fuckin' old ass fuse box, I ain't goin' down there," Kate growled, "big man owns the house, he can fix it."

"Not all of us have night vision," I snorted, about to get up and check on it myself when I heard something break, like glass shattering. I waved for them to get behind me as I grabbed for my knife, peering out into the front room to see the door wide open while rain poured outside. I couldn't quite see anything moving but the distinct rip of someone pulling the cord on a chainsaw across the room caught my attention.

"Oh Fi-re-brand! It's your old pal back for a little fun!"

It was a woman's voice that rang out as the lights began to flicker here and there, the memory of the note resurfacing as I backed away. Habit was back and looking for trouble and I wasn't going to let them get in the middle of a fight like this.

"What the fuck is going on?!" Rouge asked, clamping her hands over her ears as an unearthly sound echoed through the home. Figures moved in the foyer and I caught glimpses of one swinging a chainsaw madly as our stick-in-the-mud himself made an appearance.

"Come on big guy! You can aim better than that!" The woman cackled, "my last victim put up more of a fight than you!"

"I-Is that...?" Kate's voice reached me and I nodded.

"Habit," I said sternly, "you three stay in here. He's here for Firebrand."

"Surprised to see me?!" The voice changed slightly into something more...familiar, "now I can thank you properly by fucking massacring you!"

The sound echoed again and I covered my ears, my knife clattering to the ground as my vision blurred into black and white static. Once it was over the lights turned back on and I saw Operator in the foyer, kneeling as he leaked a black ooze from somewhere. Rouge was on her feet in seconds as she rushed over to him, the other girls approaching me slowly as they looked on in confusion.