9. Sending a message

Kitty

"Oh, I almost forgot, where the hell were you guys last night?"

We'd taken over the living room and were enjoying the fire while watching a crappy Christmas movie, coffee and hot cocoa in everyone's hands, all of us hiding beneath blankets. I'd cozied up with Jules as a backrest, her legs tucked beneath my arms and holding me in place.

"Skate park," Nina mumbled around a mouthful of popcorn.

"Murdering," I waved absentmindedly as she looked back my way, "Jules walked with me to make sure I didn't get lost in the woods while I was drunk."

"I was wondering why you were so chipper today, that explains it," Chelsea snorted, "explains the bodies in Glenwood too."

"Guilty." I cracked a grin. "I'll make sure I go further out next time, I'm sure cops are going to be all over the next few days."

"Eh, let 'em look," she said with a lazy shrug, "in other news, we have some good tidings from the world of Jeff."

I sat upright immediately as she pulled the heart necklace out of her pocket and handed it over to me. It wasn't damaged or bloody and I quickly clasped it around my neck before looking back up at her.

"He's working as a double agent, basically. Following Operator's orders but trying to help us. He sent two people our way who've been trying to kill Operator for a while, they're pretty nice. Tim and Brian. They want to help."

"That's all we've got?" I asked, deflating as she nodded.

"Either way we know Jeff is safe and still trying to work things out. I think you should meet them, talk to them a little. This is good news."

"Yeah, yeah you're right," I sighed, giving her a gentler smile, "thank you. I'm...glad he sent this back."

"Isn't that the necklace I gave you?" Jules asked as I laid back down on her stomach, her fingers cupping the pendant while I nodded.

"It's my most prized possession and I gave it to him the day we all had to leave. Thought it might give him a little kick of good luck and it actually ended up coming in handy. He used it to cut himself out of the duct tape Tom had him wrapped in." A sigh escaped my chest as I remembered that sticky summer rain. "Those were simpler times."

"Well I'd definitely like to meet them if they're willing to help us out," Nina piped up, "let's say, Runaway Café tomorrow night?"

"Works for me," Chelsea nodded, "Kitty? Jules?"

"Yeah I'm in," I said as I felt Jules nod behind me, "I hope that asshole has something up his sleeve."

"We all do. Tom's still waiting on his stomach to finally decide it wants proper food so there's not much we can do until that happens."

We all let out a murmur of agreement before traversing different topics, kicking back and watching the movie until it flipped to a different one. Jules napped peacefully behind me and I listened to Nina and Chelsea talk about Chelsea's magical aptitude until I suddenly felt Jules shift, my body lifting in the assumption she wanted to get up and watching as she wandered into the kitchen while I took her spot.

"Kitty!"

Jules's voice echoed, a terrified note that had me on my feet in seconds. When I found her she was backing away from the sliding door, eyes locked on something outside and as I whipped around to take a look I recoiled. Splayed on my back patio was what looked like a mutilated cat, blood covering the pavement and making me gag. What the fuck?!

"Oh God, Chelsea get a trash bag," I urged her and she came back a few moments later with a sick look on her face. Nina looked on with wide eyes as I slipped outside and hurriedly wrapped the carcass, tying the bag tightly and running around front to drop it in the trash bin before I came back.