27. White rabbit

Nina

Monday morning came and my alarm went off beside my head, waking up and with a giddy smile for once in my life and I bolted upright, throwing my blanket in the air. Tanis was in the bed across from me and she took a little more effort to rouse but she eventually stood up and stretched her arms into the air, her hair frizzy and her smile sleepy.

"Rise and shine mother fuckers!"

"We're awake Kitty!" I laughed as she banged on the door, the hardwood flying open before she flashed a massive grin at me.

"Jules made waffles, Chelsea and Tom will be here in twenty, Vlad picking up Pierce?"

"Yes ma'am," Tanis replied, the door closing as my cousin scampered off down the hallway, "she's really energetic for not being a morning person."

"She's just excited, hasn't gone on a road trip just to go on one for a few years," I chuckled as I reached into my closet, no longer embarrassed to change in front of her and grabbing for my bra and a couple of my 'warmer' shirts to pack. I brushed something I hadn't worn in a while and I plucked out my skirt, layering it over fishnets and my red and black striped socks.

"Damn, you really do dress to impress don't you?" Tanis teased, having pulled on plain blue jeans and a pretty pink thermal.

"My mother literally only ever bought me blue jeans and like, Abercrombie & Fitch," I explained, tugging a black long sleeve with white graphics on and tucking it into my skirt, "I think you look fantastic in pink but I loathe the color on myself."

"Aw, thank you! It's new and I love it," she beamed and put a big smile on my face, "I think you look awesome with the whole doom and gloom vibe anyway. Fits you a lot better than pink and pastels would."

"I make gloom and doom look good," I snickered, slapping her hand before I finished tucking things away into a duffel bag. Tanis emptied her clothes into the bag as well and left just the necessities in her backpack while I did the same, hiding my knife away under my skirt for safe keeping.

Once we were done and ready to go we moved downstairs, finding Jules and Kitty at the table chatting over belgian waffles and warmly greeting us when we took a seat to join them. I stacked mine with blueberries and syrup, savoring the taste and listening as the front door opened and shut behind me. Thomas was as unmistakable as ever as he announced their arrival and I waved, his arms wrapping around my shoulders as a dark hand reached out to steal one of my blueberries.

"Hey buttmunch, get your own!" I complained playfully as Chelsea dropped down in the chair next to Jules.

"Irritating you is so much fun though!" He groaned before walking around the table and taking his own seat, his shades perched on his head and dressed in an old AC/DC shirt. I'd explained a little more to Tanis when we got back here last night so she thought it was a result of an infection due to his 'skin condition'. Somehow I bullshitted him being able to echolocate and she believed it.

"I'm so excited, I haven't been to Seattle since I was a kid," Chelsea grinned as she grabbed her own waffle, "I'll take first half of the drive, we'll take a pit stop near the border and swap with Kit-Kat."

"Funny enough I still have my license," she laughed beside me, "I shouldn't after driving to Colorado, but I do."

"You and me both," I snorted.

A few minutes later there was a knock on the door and Kitty yelled for them to come in, Pierce and Vlad grinning ear to ear as they closed the door behind them. Vlad was looking real classy in a turtleneck with a dark floral Hawaiian shirt layered over it, his necklaces jingling and an old coffin nail hanging from his ear to complete the look. Pierce looked the same as ever in his leather jacket, a red hoodie unintentionally making him match with me.