Kiss and Make Up

"Liar!"

Demetri's words stung like acid. Eli couldn't muster the courage to say or do anything. He just laid there watching his best friend angrily glance at his bruise then back at him. Eli swallowed a ball that formed in his throat. They stared at each other's eyes intensely causing the smaller male to stir uncomfortably underneath Demetri. Seeing Eli this way caused Demetri to loosen up his grip on the other's wrists and hoodie. He took a deep breath before lowering Eli's clothes gently. He rolled to the side of the bed next to Eli. Eli slowly sat up looking at his friend who had an unreadable expression.

"Sorry." Demetri mumbled. "I just don't like the fact that your father hurt you again."

Eli bit his bottom lip nervously.

"And you lied to me." He continued. "Again."

"Demetri, I'm sorry." Apologized Eli. "I d-didn't want you to worry."

"Well to be honest I had my doubts." Demetri explained. "I knew it was too good to be true."

"It didn't hurt." Eli lied as he placed his hand on his stomach.

Demetri shook his head in denial. "You're still lying."

Eli sighed. "It hurts if I poke it..."

"How did he do it?"

"Huh?"

"The bruise." Demetri clarified. "How did it happen?"

The bruised teen took a shakey breath in before speaking. "He p-punched me and... kicked m-me..."

An eerie silence occurs between the two. Again Eli began to stem on his hoodie strings.

Demetri combed his hair with his hands. "You know there's a counselor in our school. Her name is Ms. Blatt. Maybe she can-"

"No." Eli interrupted. "I'm not telling."

"Who said you were telling."

"Demetri no." Eli shook his head. "P-please I told you not to."

"Eli look!" Demetri lifted Eli's hoodie revealing the dark bruise. "How many more of these are you going to endure?"

Eli pulled away from Demetri hiding his bruise. "Don't say anything."

"Are you serious?!" Demetri rose to his feet furiously. "Eli that man is going to keep hurting you."

"If you tell they're gonna take everything from us." Eli explained. "My mom might even get in trouble for letting it happen."

Demetri listened quietly.

"A-and he has connections with p-people." He continued. "He will find us again and..." he trailed off.

Demetri understood what Eli meant but there was a chance that the man will be behind bars or at least away from the two. Before Demetri could object Eli spoke again and said something that made Demetri think twice.

"I might h-have to move away and I w-won't see you ever again."

Shit. Demetri thought. He sure got him there. Eli could tell Demetri grew tense due to his last words. Eli's chest tightened as he imagined a world without Demetri.

Demetri sighed and sat back down defeated. "Just do me a favor?"

"Hm?"

"Try avoiding him as much as possible." It almost sounded like he was begging. "Do that for me at least and don't lie to me."

Eli forced a smile. "Okay."

Demetri lifted his pinky finger and extended his arm towards Eli. The other did the same wrapping his pinky around the other's. The two of them then joined their dumbs to seal the promise.