Sanding a Friendship

After a long day of training or what Eli called it 'doing chores', the two reconciled teens arrive at Eli's home. Upon arrival Eli stops a couple of feet away from the front gate of his house. Demetri stops shortly behind him watching the other teen still as a rock. Demetri knew why. Of course he did. Eli was worried having him over because of his father. This was a usual occurrence between the two back then before the karate wars, but something about this seemed a bit different. Eli was more confident than he was back then yet he was still a nervous wreck when it came to his father. Oddly enough Demetri was braver than him which was a miracle in itself.

Eli turns around with that similar look he used to have when being bullied back in freshmen year. "Deme, I-I don't think this is a g-good idea."

"Why not?" Demetri asked, his brows knitting together. "I've come to your house multiple times before. I don't see why it's different now."

"It's not." Eli adverts his gaze. "I just— it's been a while since you've seen him and he might be too much and-"

"Eli, you're father is indeed an asshole." Demetri agrees shrugging his shoulders. "But I really don't care."

"Deme, I-"

"He still hits you doesn't he?" Demetri folds his arm.

Eli froze unable to respond to his accusation.

"Well I'll sleep over everyday like I said I would back then." Demetri explains as he walked towards the steps of the patio. "Come on."

Eli sighed making his way up the small steps and unlocked the door. Upon entering it was quiet which was strange. Usually when his father was home he made his presence well known. Eli awkwardly steps inside inviting his friend in. Nobody was in the living room or the dining area which was a good sign but as they walked closer towards Eli's room sounds in the kitchen could be heard. Eli grabbed Demetri's wrist pulling him as he sped to his room making him gasp.

"Eli?"

Fuck! They weren't quiet enough.

"Is that you?" A low voice called.

"Yes." Eli spoke softly but still loud enough for his father to hear.

"Fucking finally, I need-" Mr. Moskowitz creeped out of the kitchen but paused once he saw Demetri next to his son. "Oh wow look who it is." He let out a raspy chuckle. "Long time no see."

Demetri didn't respond and just gave him a serious and calm look but his eyes were telling a different message. If looks could kill, Mr. Moskowitz would be six feet under right now.

"What was it?" He steps closer. "Dennis? Damien?"

"It's Demetri." The brunette spat causing Eli to cringe in fear.

"Right, Demetri." The man nods as stand in front of Eli. "Is this kid still messing with you at school?"

"No." He responded in light speed.

"Are you sure?" He asks him but eyes fixated on Eli, staring into his damn soul.

Demetri could feel the anger build up in his chest. This man knew exactly what he was doing. He was making Eli as uncomfortable as possible while trying to get Demetri to fess up so he could have an excuse to hurt him. It was disgusting. Demetri wanted to say so much back and he was about to until he felt a light squeeze around his wrist. Eli was still holding onto him squeezing him once more and Demetri knew exactly what he was trying to say. He didn't want him to talk back or do anything Eli wouldn't want. Demetri sighed. "Eli hasn't been bothering me. We're good friends. Good friends always make up."

"Friends, huh?" His father retorts. "You're just friends?"

Eli and Demetri exchange quizzical looks. What did he mean by that? Was he suspecting they were something else? What else could they be? Enemies? Maybe. But that doesn't explain the 'just friends' part. Eli jolts his hand away from Demetri shoving it into his pocket.