Chapter 23

"What I mean is, I will join the Demon Slayer Corps but not as a hashira."

"Why have you come to this conclusion?"

"I don't believe that it would be fair to the rest of the corps if someone new was suddenly placed in your highest-ranking spot. There are people who could deserve the spot instead of me."

"You have already completed the requirements for becoming a hashira while not having a nichirin blade."

"I would rather start from the beginning. I mean everything is more fun when you start at the beginning, right?"

"I will allow it for now, but your rank will change like anybody else's so that means if you kill a twelve kizuki, or 50 demons you will be promoted to hashira."

"I am fine with that."

"Pardon me master, but can she stay in my estate since she has nowhere else to go?"

[She makes it sound like I am homeless. Oh wait, I am.]

I snicker quietly at my own thoughts. As the master is debating on what to do Muichiro who is seated next to me quietly said," What was the shape of that cloud again?" I scoot closer to him and look up at the sky that is painted with wisps of clouds and shades of blue.

"I believe that the cloud is shaped like a bird," I say quietly.

He looks over at me perplexed but does not say anything. I tilt my head to the side slightly expecting him to do or say something about being rude to the master since I am sure he heard me snicker earlier. When he saw me, tilt my head to the side I saw a tinge of pink on his cheeks before he turned to face the master again and his hair covered the side of his face.

[I wonder if he is sick? Maybe he is heat-sensitive?]

"I will allow (l/n) to stay at the Butterfly Estate."

Shinobu and I both own down farther and say," Thank you, master."

Since I was not a part of the hashiras like he had hoped I took an early leave and went to the Butterfly estate while they had their meeting. When I got there there was no one by the front door so I went towards the back since I heard some voices. As I passed through a beautiful garden, I saw a multitude of butterflies. They all started flying towards me and clung to my clothes and hair. I saw two girls, one with a cape and butterfly hairclip and the other with two blue butterfly hairclips.

"Excuse me, this is the Butterfly Estate, correct?"

"Who are you, and what are you doing here?"

"Kocho said that I could stay in her estate for the time being. Please pardon my intrusion and for taking up space in the estate."

"It is alright, come with me."

As I pass by the other girl, I give her a close-eyed smile and a small wave. The girl I am following introduces herself as Aoi and I am placed in the same room as Tanjiro, Zenitsu, and Inoskue. I placed down my box with a light thud and cleaned my small injuries. It was dark outside and almost everyone was asleep. I wasn't very tired, so I decided to meditate for a little bit on my bed.

[It seems that Tanjiro has remembered something. I guess it is finally time for me to teach him. I guess I should start to remember everything.]

Fire

...

...

Snow

...

...

Mask

...

...

Bells

...

...

"Moshi mosh."

...

...

"Moshi mosh."

"Hello, Kocho-san. Is there something that you need?"

"Ara Ara~, so you could hear me (l/n)."

"Sorry, I was deep in thought. Also, just call me (y/n), or something like that."

"Alright (y/n) -chan, just call me Shinobu."

"Ok, is there something that you need Shinobu-san?"

"The master wishes to have a meeting with you tomorrow in the afternoon."

"Thank you for telling me. Have a good night Shinobu-san."

"You too (y/n) -chan."

That night I slept peacefully in a soft bed, and not on the rocky ground that I am used to.

****

It is around noon, and I am sitting inside the master's estate drinking tea. The room is dark with a few candles lit and there is no one else here besides us.

"What is it that you wish to discuss with me master?"

I can see that he is still surprised by the fact that I addressed him as my master after being on the run from him for so long.

"(l/n), you don't have to show such respect towards me."

"I had acknowledged the fact that you were my master since I decided to join the corps. You already had my respect for a long time now, since you never went past the boundaries and abided by the rules of my game."

"So it was not just about being amused."

"That was half of the reason. The other half is to see if you were trustworthy enough for me to entrust things to you."

"And such would be?"

"What by breathing technique is and the object that Kibutsuji has been looking for thousands of years."

He is shocked but quickly covers it.

"You know of what he searches for?"

"Hn."

I nod before reaching into my pocket. I pull out a small box made of metal that was melded together.

"I was able to get some information from some elders and demons to understand what he was looking for. When I found them, I burned the ground and the surrounding area so that they wouldn't be able to grow again. Later on, I was given a seed to the blue spider Lilly, but I wasn't sure if it was real or not, so I placed it in this box and kept it with me."

"Thank you, this has been a great help."

He goes to bow down but I try to stop him by saying," There is no reason for you to bow down to me."

"There is. You have helped the corps with finding demons, saving people from demons, and even helped some slayers before they lost their lives."

"You still don't have to bow down to me."

...

...

"If you keep bowing, I won't tell you anything else."

He quickly gets back into the sitting position that he was in before. We continue to talk until the sun goes down about many things.