Chapter 63

Eyy, look who's not dead :) Updates will be going back to normal in 3-4 weeks, but for now, it will be once a week due to a busy schedule. Thank you for being patient! The image above is from @_Zxrxjurx_kny on Twitter I believe.

________

After much contemplation I find myself being held in Akira's arms as we walk around the flower gardens. Hibiki and his younger siblings lead the way running around and having fun. Surprisingly Akira, who has been carrying me for a few hours, hasn't even slowed in the slightest.

"I am completely able to walk, there is no reason for you to do this."

"Yes, there is! I heard that you were the one to bring my brother back home when he ran away. He is also the reason why you are hurt, I can't just let my brother's savior walk around hurt. Besides, I am a strong swordsman. I could carry you all day."

"It is quite a warm day."

"That's no problem, there is much shade for us to hide under." He says while smirking.

[Just put me down already, I want to go back.]

Once Hibiki's two younger siblings started to tire we took a break underneath the shade of a wisteria tree.

"(Y/N)-san do you know what kind of flowers these are? I bet you don't" Says the youngest boy.

"Hmm, I do not, do you know?"

"Yep! These are lavender orange trees. It is said to bloom and grow oranges in a few days or so."

"Really? They are unique, I don't believe I have heard of them before."

"Mhm! Since the festivities are starting soon, there is a small party going to be held from tonight till whenever the oranges grow."

"Do oranges not take weeks to grow?"

"Nope, as they are special. One of the priests planted this tree while on his death bed. It is said to be magic that he was blessed with by the god and used it while planting the tree. Now once the flowers have bloomed, the oranges will grow rapidly. Also, just as the sun rises, the oranges will wither and disappear just like the priest did. That is why we have to grab and store them the second they are grown."

"That...is quite an interesting tale."

"It's not a tale!" he pouts" It's a real story. It happened. It was just a long, long time ago!"

[Sure.]

I stare back at Hibiki who is vibrating in his spot apparently waiting for a response to decide if he needs to blurt out any more information.

"Hn."

"Yey!" He goes off running around the tree and chasing his younger siblings. Their heads bobbing back and forth as if they were mimicking bobbleheads.

"You should stop doing that before your neck snaps."

Neither of the younger kids knew who said the statement as they were too far away to hear anything besides the statement. I grabbed onto the outstretched hand in my direction and pull myself up.

The rest of the day was spent with a light and airy ambiance. Looking at the flowers and having idle chatter passed time quickly and soon we found ourselves heading back to the residences. I bid goodbye to the happy family and head back to the inn. I hold the container of liquid gifted as thanks from Akira in one hand as I look at the newly bought fan. I throw a few sheets aimlessly around the room before lighting a candle and taking out a small stack of books from under the floorboard. I flip the books to the same page and start to write down a series of words on a separate piece of paper.

[Second word, fifth, first, twenty, last, third.]

I continue flipping through and pages and decoding what was hidden within the books. The books I received from the storyteller before his death. 'The praise of a God','The Takimokos lineage',' A wonderful start', all books written by the same person; Aizen Tsunenaga, the head priest of the church, the one who disappeared after planting the tree and the one that handled the sacrifices. The books that will either tell me the salvation or downfall of the future of this village.

**

The sun starts to peek through the windows and I realize how long I spent trying to decode the books. Not feeling sleepy in the slightest, I finish the last page before collecting the books and placing them back. I roll a few joints and do a few exercises to keep my limbs limber and see the healing progress. I roll onto my side and take the last book that was left in the open of the room and flip through its pages mindlessly.

[Who would have thought I would find the first book I ever read here?]

The name: 'Gestures and conversations, how to act around people.'

[I misunderstood this book many times which led to some habits such as the ara~, and smiling. I thought 'ara~' was a term of endearment as the definition states were 'oh dear'. The book said to always smile, as to not show weakness to others. Maybe I would be able to find it here since Muichiro didn't know.]

I flip through the sections till I land on the 'gestures' part of the book. I quickly flip through the pages in hopes of finding what I was searching for. An obnoxious fly buzzes around my hand once more, and I am finally fed up. I quickly grabbed the closest sharp object and slice the fly. It then drops as two pieces onto the previously laid out napkin, which is then unceremoniously tied and tossed out. I pick up the book that was dropped in the movement and find that it is open to the page I was looking for.

<> = what book states

< A forehead kiss is a form of endearment towards a significant person or family>

[Is everyone not significant, I rarely see this as a form of endearment? Maybe a past tradition, not kept alive throughout time.]

I look around the room and decide to pick up the half hazardously thrown items. I take the sheet that draped over the large mirror, the clothing that flew onto the chair back, and the other sheets that were around the room. I lay down once more choosing to abandon the book and look through the window at the rising sun signifying another start and a new day.

[It is time, let's get everything in tempo.]

I let a small gentle smile appear, and my eyes soften as I lay down with my back shown towards the reflective glass.