Chapter 26

I woke up before the sun rose from behind the horizon. I tied my hair up in a ponytail and placed a small blanket over (c/n). I changed into more flowy clothes and took a wooden sword as well as a thick veil to place over my eyes.

[I do not have beads nor tassels, but this is the closest I can get to recreating what needs to be done.]

I stuck my swords in the ground as markers for where the torches would be and got into the starting stance.

*Swoosh*

Tanjiro POV

I woke up and saw (y/n) gone, but (c/n) was still here. I tried to get Zenitsu and Inosuke to come to training today but they wouldn't budge. I walked out to the back and started to do Total Concentration Breathing Constant. Sadly I didn't notice (y/n) already outside having practiced something very important for hours and still going at it.

*in*

*out*

*in*

*out*

*i-*cough**cough**wheeze*

[I can't do it!]

I fall to the ground feeling like my heart is coming out of my head. I shakily reach up to the veranda (is that what it is called) and pull myself up with one arm.

[My lungs hurt! My ears hurt! My ears are ringing like crazy! My eardrums]

[I won't be able to do it at this rate! When in doubt go back to the basics.]

"You spineless fool!"

I didn't notice three sets of eyes on me as I was talking to myself peaking from around the corner.

***

"Gourds? What are they used for?"

"Kocho-sama used these to train Kanao and herself.

"That is a neat training technique. Does it make some kind of sound?"

"No." says a voice right by my ear.

"Ahh! (y/n) stop sneaking up on me!"

" I was out here first, you just never noticed me practicing."

"Ehh! But, But I couldn't hear you!"

"Almost nobody can remember I have this no presence thing. Anyways, they wouldn't be used to make a sound. They sound reinforced and would sound terrible if used to play music. They are probably used to break, right?"

"Hai! (y/n) is right, you blow into the gourd until it bursts!

"What, but you said that it is reinforced?"

"As you progress they get bigger. The one that Kanao-san can burst is this one."

They show us a large-sized gourd, that looms way over the small gourd that Tanjiro is starting with.

"It's huge. I will give it my all!"

Pov (y/n)

Tanjiro went back to training for the day and I decided to continue working even though my legs and arms started to hurt a little bit.

***

The next day I took a break and went to train with Tanjiro.

"They aren't here today either?"

"Sorry, I will try and bring them tomorrow."

As he swings his sword while using the constant breathing technique, I am sitting on the veranda breaking gourds. Most of the time I will do my own training off to the side so that I am not in his way.

Over the course of the next 15 days, I had gotten 2 missions. (c/n) was happy to see what my breathing technique would be, and how I would fight. Luckily I didn't run into any of the demon moons, so I don't have to worry about promotion for now. On one of the days between my missions, Tanjiro had asked me to help him as he sleeps. He had the right idea, but I think that he could have thought of another way, then getting beaten awake.

[ He is progressing quickly, and he has been able to get back to his normal stamina. I have already remembered most of them, but I have only perfected a few and one is still hazy.]

I am sitting with Tanjiro on the roof stargazing while he meditated. I can hear his steady pattern of breathing break as he sucks in the air with discomfort written all over his face.

"What is wrong Tanjiro?"

"Nothing just think about my sword."

"Ok, well you have stopped breathing the right way."

He kneads his eyebrows together in concentration as he tries to get his rhythm back.

"Moshi mosh."

...

"Moshi mosh."

...

"Moshi mosh."

"Yes!"

Shinobu is right next to his face as he suddenly looks up from his concentrated position.

"I see that you are working very hard. Even though your friends ran off somewhere. Aren't you lonely all by yourself?"

"No, I have (y/n) with me! And after I master it, I can teach it to them myself," He stated proudly.

"Hm, I didn't see her."

"Ara~ I was here the entire time. Nice to see you again Shinobu-san," I say appearing right next to both of their faces like Shinobu did to Tanjiro a few moments ago.

"You both have a beautiful soul, don't you?"

...

"So why did you decide to bring us all here in the first place."

"Nezuko's presence has been officially acknowledged and is no longer considered taboo. The three of you were also all terribly injured. Also, I would like to entrust my dream to you."

"Dream?"

[Dream. Why does it seem angry?]

"Yes, That we can befriend the demons, I am sure that you can accomplish that.

I hear Tanjiro sniff the air around us.

"Are you angry?" We say at the same time. She looks surprised by our question.

"For some reason, I'm always picking up an angry scent from you, even though you are always smiling.

[Her eyes look angry like people say, the eyes are the window to the soul.]

"Yes, you are correct. It may be that I am in a constant state of anger. My beloved older sister was slaughtered by a demon. Every time I see the mournful tears of people who have lost loved ones, every time. I hear their loud cries of despair the anger keeps building up inside of me. Deep inside my body, there's hatred that I cannot quiet. I am sure the other hashira feel something similar as well, even (y/n) -chan. Now with their own eyes, they have seen a demon who will not devour a human and cannot deny her existence. My sister was a kindhearted person like you, she felt pity for demons, even when she was on the brink of death. I couldn't bring myself to feel that way. If this is what my sister believed I have to carry it on."

"You have stopped your Total concentration breathing."*giggle*