Chapter 11. Bones and Burns

Joseph POV:

A week has passed since we killed the demon. During this time, a lot has happened.

Selma has woken up a day after the fight, without remembering what happened to her.

She and Belda have decided to stay with me, each one of them occupied with their own thing.

Even if she was still recuperating, Selma wanted to help people convert to the Goddess's religion. She has already created something that is really reminding me of a cult for some reason.

Belda on the other hand stayed in her room with the book she has taken from the carapace of the monster and only coming out only to eat or shower. She was in a state of being that when someone was trying to talk to her, she glared at the said person with a look that could almost kill. And for a mage at her level, the threat was real.

I was working with the duke and his assistant, to come up with a way that can make the slums into a more habitable environment. I proposed a place similar to a guild that can give them odd jobs, similar to what low-ranking adventures do. My plan was quickly accepted by the duke and he has already started the constructions on the same field where I fought with the demon.

I even discovered the existence of a criminal organization that was controlling the citizens of this city, thanks to a kind yet extremely hyperactive guard, who was after them for a while. With her and some other guards, we busted some of their stanches and captured a lot of people.

Right now, I was in the room reserved for me, waiting for the crystal ball on my desk to work.

It is the newest way of communication, that supposedly utilizes the mana in the air to send messages to one other. The royal version on the other hand is able to make real-time communication possible while being able to see each other. A cutting-edge technology, revolutionizing the world of communication.

Or so it should be, but this piece of junk doesn't work at all. Everybody knows that the warriors cant use magical objects, because of our little mana reserves. Even with a mana stone at hand making these things work is a nightmare.

In other circumstances, I would as a magician to help me make this thing work, but thanks to the new security procedure. After the terrorist attack 3 years ago, all communication via crystals must be done by a person whose mana has been registered by the crown.

"Why didn't we just use letters."

The crystal finally lit up and a transparent square appeared above it. The image inside of the square was flue at first, but It became clearer, till I could see the face of the king.

"Father." I bowed down in front of him, as per the etiquette dictate's it.

"Please stand back up my son. You have done something exceptional." I raised my head to see my father's smile. "Not only did you killed the monster that was lurking in the shadows, but you even discovered a criminal organization in this city, bringing a great service to this city. Tell me my son what is your wish for."

Hearing the words that were similar to those of the demon's, made me flinch a little.

"... I and the duke came up with a system that might make the slums a more habitable place. I want to try it out here. I wish to have your benediction on this project."

"Hmmm, a pretty selfless one. Fine then do as you want to. But known this, some things can't be fixed when broke. There is no shame in falling in some things."

"... Thank you, father."

The king nodded and the video was cut.

*****