Volume 2 Chapter 22. Planet Anime

Desert of Souls.

A place where the sun never sets and the ground is so hot that if a normal human touches it, I might even set it ablaze.

Only monsters or cultivators can move freely on its surface, normal humans need to use the huge underground system that stretches under the sand, but these caverns do contain multiple insect-type spirit beasts so there aren't many people who use them.

In short, this was the perfect location for a secret base.

I ran through the dunes, leaving clear marks behind myself.

While in the air several worm-like monsters appeared from the sand, trying to eat me.

"Singing Serpent Slash."

The worms standing before me fell into nettle cut pieces.

"It's not far from here."

Using the map provided by my master, I could guess that the canyon was about a kilometer away from me.

"SSSStop right there!"

Before me, the sand exploded and a huge creature emerged.

It looked like a black centipede but at its head, the upper part of a brown-skinned man could be seen, with a black collar on his neck.

"This is private territory! Turn back before I turn you into a snack!"

I can feel it. This repulsive feeling jolting through my body, making my blood boil, while my heart beating like crazy.

It was hatred.

"Are you one of the subordinates of the Dealmaker?"

The insect started to clack with his mandible while the human portion grimaced.

"I am the guardian of the desert! I am under no one! I will kill you for this affront!"

The monster rushed at me, its insect mouth dripping with acid.

"Ninja Style: Flash Step."

I jump up in the air, right above the monster, my sword filled with energy.

"Descending Azure Cascade."

With a swing a pillar of blue energy descended, obliterating the thing into dust.

Even for an elder like me, this thing must have been a tough opponent, but this was easy with my training and knowledge.

I landed smoothly on the sand and continued running.

Soon I reached the base.

As my master said, they set up some sort of base at the bottom of the chasm.

The whole place looked like an ancient ruin of stone buildings that were almost engulfed by sand from where I stud, but my senses told me otherwise.

Hundreds of beings, none of them entirely human, were moving there.

" Found you."

*****

Darkness.

After those kids pierced my heart all I could see was darkness.

Before that, I was a great man. A rich man. A powerful man.

With the invasion of the Gigas, I managed to get my hands on their technologies to fight against them, saving countless lives, realizing my long-sought dream of becoming a hero. I was even the one who built the first Anti-Gigas suit, which the military used to protect humanity!