45

POV: BAYLIN GRIGGS

"Oh good, you've met." Jim says, crossing his arms and looking up to the visually confused boy. "How do you two know each other?"

Neither of us answer him, we both just stare at each other like a deer in headlights.

What the actual fuck is going on, I cant even begin wrap my head around this. Why Niall of all people? The boy standing in front of me right now, the same boy who assaulted me not even a month ago, the same boy who Harry hates with every bone in his body. I have so many questions, none of which seem to make any sense.

Since when was Niall even in foster care? Isn't he eighteen?

"Hello, am I talking to a wall?" Jim continues after being ignored by the both of us.

Niall shakes his head as if to shake off his surprise. "Sorry erm we uh, we go to school together."

"Oh, how convenient. I won't have to drive this one in the morning now and mess up my work schedule." Jim says, looking to me with a pleased look on his face.

I think my body went into shock or something, my feet felt like they were glued to the floor and my pulse was pounding in my ears. I had no room in my throat to speak and it felt like a knife was being twisted in my stomach.

"Niall, go over the basics with her, give her a tour, show her her room and help her with anything she needs." The man tells the boy.

"W-Will do." Niall stutters, still very shocked as well.

Jim claps his hands together. "Alrighty then, I'll be in my office. If you need anything don't be scared to come bother me."

He walks away back to the direction that we had come from, through the stairs and disappearing in his office door. It was dead silent until the door had completely shut, the slam sending a reaction to my body telling me to speak.

"What are you... Niall, you're-" I can't seem to get a full sentence out. My brain fried of this appalling reality, I felt like a bullet had just lodged in my skull.

Niall continues to stare wide eyed at me from the top of the steps, he was just as taken back as I was— completely flabbergasted at my arrival.

"Why are you doing here?" He spoke quiet and with concern, looking to the office door with caution like he was trying to make sure Jim was actually out of sight.

"I-I don't-" I stumble my words, still frozen in my spot.

Niall's eyebrows were heavily furrowed, as if he was trying to grasp information and put two and two together without me needing to tell him.

"Holy shit," He says in realization. "You're mom, I forgot about that. Fuck." He curses under his breath. Niall quickly makes his way down the single flight of stairs, I watch as he does so, pacing to stand right in front of me.

I could see the pity in his blue eyes, shining in the sun coming through the window behind me, looking at me with such a look of sorrow.

"I'm so sorry, are you okay?" Niall unnecessarily apologizes. "I heard about that a couple weeks ago, and you haven't been to school so I figured you were just taking time to grieve or something. I texted you when I found out, don't remember if you ever answered." He begins to ramble, I remember this about him, he rambles when he's nervous. "But why are you here? Oh fuck sorry right with your sister missing they must have-"

"Niall." I stop him from going any further, his anxious words are driving me up the fucking walls.

"Sorry, I didn't mean- I just really didn't expect to see you." He seemed very unsure of himself, conflicting with what words to use. "When Jim told me we were taking in another foster kid, I just assumed it would be a kid off the street."