Chapter Twenty Three - Serafina

In the dancing world, you drop your sense of modesty real quick. Everyone is always in various states of dress and undress. We change in front of each other, always rushing to get ready for the next performance.

That's why I don't mind sitting here in my underwear in front of Renfrey. She's older than me by a few years. Her waist length red brown hair is wild and loose and a heavy curtain of fringe hangs down, covering her dark brows. She's got a rectangular shape and an eclectic style. Gold and turquoise bangles jingle on her wrist as she studies me. Once she arrived, she tossed me a pair of black panties and a sports bra. Apparently, she's my new stylist, and she knows I have nothing.

She doesn't question my obvious need for clothes, and I don't offer an explanation. She must know why I'm here. If she doesn't, she knows enough not to think it's strange. Despite my head screaming for me to ask to use her cell phone, I don't. Renfrey is his person. He trusts her enough to leave me with her. She's here to help me with clothes, I'm sure she won't help me escape. And I'm not going to push my luck by asking.

Her voice is husky. She reminds me of a badass female rock singer from the 1970s. "Okay girlfriend, tell me about yourself." She laces her fingers together and pulls her round glasses on top of her head.

"Me or my style?" I quirk a brow.

She smirks, "you tell me whatever you think I need to know."

This feels like when you're in high school and you have to play those 'get to know you' games. Tell the class three fun facts about yourself, Serafina. I never felt like I could be honest.

Growing up, I always had to hide some part of who I was. Hide what Papa did, hide what happened to my mother, hide what was really going on inside my head.

For once, I decide to just be honest. I spit out the first three things that come to mind. "My name is Serafina. My father is the President of the Royal Suns. And I like early 2000s emo music." The last part makes me grimace a little, it feels random. That's not the most important thing about me, I'm not really sure why I put that in there, but it just rolled off the tongue.

Renfrey just nods. It's like she's reading between the lines of my book. "I'm going to say three words and I want you to tell me which one you connect with most."

"Fierce.

Badass.

Queen."

Narrowing my eyes, my lips creep up into a slow smile. "Yes," I say, acknowledging all three.

The corners of her lips tip up to match my own. "I got you, girlfriend," she says with a wink. "Let's get started."