Chapter Fifty - Serafina

My lips feel raw. I've smashed them so hard against his face that I think they might actually be swollen. He kisses me everywhere too, though. My cheeks, my nose, my jaw. It's like we're hungry for each other. His entire right side is covered with blood spatter. We both look like a crime scene.

King promised that no one would hurt me. He wouldn't let them do it, so he had to. If it was going to happen, which it was, it was going to be on his terms.

It's fucked up. The things he did were fucked up. But I don't care, because life is fucked up. Love is fucked up. We are fucked up. And that's why he's my king.

When we've worked ourselves into a frenzy, I force myself to pull away. As much as I want to rip off his clothes, I don't think I can stand the idea of having sex in the same room as my father's dead body.

"King," I purr, biting his earlobe.

He grips my ass tighter and presses me against his cock. Ugh, I might come just like this. "Take me home." I swirl my tongue over his ear and he groans.

Without putting me down, he stalks out of the room, stepping over my father. Only then do we both realize that Cherry has been cowering in the corner the entire time. We look at her and she looks at us.

I'm not sure what to do. Seeing her like this feels like I'm looking at a different woman. Proof that even the dirtiest secrets can be hidden- that sometimes what you see is only a facade.

There are two Cherrys. One who is a boss and runs the club. A woman who appears to have everything together. The other woman, the one I'm staring at now, is the broken mistress of my father... mistress being a very generous term.

It took me one day to break down. Cherry has been here for five years. My heart bursts just watching her. She stares at my father's body in a mix of horror and hatred.

Scrambling down out of King's arms, I run for her and throw my arms around her. I don't know what I'm doing. I don't know if it's helping, but I have to do something.

"I'm so sorry," I whisper. And I am. I'm really fucking sorry that this happened to her. I'm sorry that for the three years I worked at the club I was blind to everything going on.

Cherry pushes off me and sniffs, hugging her arms around herself. I just back away and nod. I understand.

And what I understand is that I'll never understand.

I'll never know what she's really gone through. I can sympathize with her pain, but it's hers. It's all hers.

I swallow and tell her, "he kept cash in his office. Take it. Go wherever you need to go, do whatever you need to do."

She rests her chin on her knees and nods, staring at the corpse on the ground.

Kingston steps up beside me, lacing his finger into mine. My hand in his, we walk away like we're Bonnie and fucking Clyde. I feel bad ass. I feel powerful. I feel like we could strike a match and watch the world burn around us.

Which is ironic because just thirty minutes ago I was ready to burn myself to the ground.

Time is a funny fucking thing.