Chapter Fifty Four - Serafina

"Gremlin, hurry the fuck up!"

Elie pokes her head out from behind her bedroom door, giving me a giggly smile. Her flower crown is tilted on her head, and I reach down to adjust it. "You can't be a shit show on my wedding day." I whisper and smirk, securing it to her head.

"Yeah, you and Kingston are the only shit shows around here," she giggles.

"Language." Silvie clips, coming up to give me a kiss on the cheek. She holds me by the shoulders and looks me over. With tears in her eyes she says, "you look so beautiful."

"Mom she looks-" Elie stops and looks up at me, then whispers, "badass."

Running away before she has the chance to be reprimanded, Elie disappears from view and Silvie pulls me in for a hug.

"Sometimes," she whispers, cheek pressed to mine, "things happen to us that we have no control over. Sometimes things are taken from us that we can never get back. Today though, is a day that we all gain something special."

Tears burn in my eyes. "Silvie, don't ruin your makeup," I say when I can tell she's crying. I had to say something, because the moment threatened to make me emotional too. But she's right. Today is the day I gain a family.

Did I think that twelve months ago I would be standing here in a wedding dress? No.

Did I think that this family of Wolves would replace my own? No.

Did I think that Kingston Dakon Meier would be my dark king, my savior, the love of my life? Hell no.

But as I watch him through the kitchen window, waiting for me, I know that sometimes the best things in life are the things we never thought we wanted.