Chapter Thirty Eight - Kingston

Her words about her father cut me in a curious way. She's desperate to think he's going to save her. I don't want to be the one to tell her that he isn't coming to her rescue.

I'm cautious when I enter the bedroom. Knowing my kisa, she probably has a lamp waiting to chuck at my head. But instead, when I walk in, it's quiet and dark.

Soft light glows in the bathroom, and I know that's where she is. The door is cracked. Moving slowly, I open it a bit wider, leaning on the frame.

She's naked in front of the mirror. Standing sideways, she looks her body up and down. "I've thought of getting them," she tells me quietly, as if I know what's going on in her mind.

"Implants," she says, when I don't respond.

Her eyes are glassy with the tears she refuses to spill. I'm starting to understand her a bit better. To the world, she's strong. She's a brick wall that no one can tear down. Inside, though, she's got fears and doubts and insecurities that she hides. Things she'll never let anyone see, but she doesn't have to tell me. I know.

An unfamiliar tick flickers in my heart, thinking of the self-doubt I've likely fed in her mind. Words I've spoken to her out of anger.

Serafina turns to face the mirror and I come up behind her. Pulling my shirt off over my head, I hold on to her shoulders, pressing her into my skin. She doesn't push me away, instead allowing me to touch her. My fingertips trail down, dusting across those rosy nipples.

She needs to know that her body is perfect. It needs no alterations.

She tenses and watches me in the mirror. Closing her eyes now, she allows me to turn her so we're face to face.