Chapter Forty One - Serafina

I never expected Kingston to look into my heart and like what he sees. No one ever has. It's easier to stay guarded. But what do you do when someone finds their way in despite your best efforts?

In silence, I lay with my head on his chest, nuzzled into the crook of his arm. Making him fall was what I wanted... right?

Thoughts tangled between wanting to escape and never letting him go, I close my eyes and drift off to sleep, pretending my problems are much smaller than they are.

***

It takes one week. Seven days. One hundred sixty-eight anxiety-riddled hours. And yes, I counted every one of them.

For months, I've been so sure I wanted to be rid of him. Now, though, I miss my soulless king.

The blacked out Suburban glides smoothly over the paved city roads. I'm sitting in the back seat, staring at Drogo's dirty blonde mane. He's always reminded me a bit of Dog, the bounty hunter. His skin is tan and leathery from too much time in the Florida sun and his messy hair might as well be a mullet, despite its haphazard form. He doesn't look it, but he's only a few years older than me.

"What will happen to King?" I ask the bouncer to my father's nightclub.

He grunts and shrugs. "Ask daddy when you see him."

I click my tongue, annoyed at his choice in words. I should ask daddy to kick your sorry ass to the curb. Drogo is ignorant, oafish, and handsy- all things that I hate. Yet my father likes to keep him around for reasons unknown.

We pull into the underground parking garage of the club, and neon lights glow yellow overhead. It's muggy and slick down here. The lights buzz in an annoying way above us.

I've been saved, yet I don't feel happy about it.

I'm irritated and snappy. I want Drogo to make a wrong move so I have someone to lash out at. At least when I see Tatiana coming down the little hallway, that brightens my mood a bit.

"Hey Tati." I stride up, and she holds her arms out in a hug.

"Welcome back," she says in her thick accent as her arms link around me, pulling me in.

At 5'6, I'm tall, but she stands inches above me in her platform heels. She presses me to her chest and then says, "we don't have much time, they'll know you're here."

I nod, she's right. Kingston isn't stupid, he's already noticed that I'm gone I'm sure. He'll know the Suns have taken me back. But what does she mean we don't have much time? Time for what?

I try to look up at Tati. My heart sinks when I realize she's holding me just a little too tight. "What the fu-" I say, pushing off, but it doesn't matter. Drogo's already got the taser pressed to my neck. It clicks and Tatiana's smiling face is the last thing I see.