twenty two

Max and I hadn't arrived back at the Noosa hub until about 8pm, the sun's golden light vanishing behind the horizon when we left Ben's.

We had wanted to spend as much time with our brother as possible, uncaring if it was light or dark when we said goodbye. We wanted to make every minute, every moment, count.

After the twins had crushed me in a relentless tackle, we spent the day away chatting, reminiscing and just enjoying one another's company. It was one the hardest things to say goodbye when we had to leave. I hated it, I really did — I always hated goodbyes. It was the same thing over and over, the same reminder of the separation to come. The same pain and the look you'd give before you turned away for the final time. It always held the same promise:

I will see you again. In a week, in a month, in a year — I will see you again.

Ben gave us that look and we gave it right back. It was a very sombre feeling. It was painful but I knew it was inevitable; the time we had down here was short. I guess the reassuring part is the fixture still shows we'll be playing Gold Coast at some point in the coming months. There's that reassurance that made the goodbye easier than the times before; I have something to look forward to now.

By the time we returned everyone else already had their dinner. Due to that, Max and I were practically the only ones in the dining area. Most of the boys were either in their rooms, in the games room or chilling by the pool.

I take a bite of chicken and glance at Max who also eats his dinner soundlessly. He's probably thinking about the day we just had.

"I'm very excited to see you wear the shirt I got you," I say, my lip quirking up.

"I'm not going to wear it," he grumbles, his facial features contorted into putrid look.

"Excuse me? I bought that for you," I exclaim, offence rising like steam from a boiled kettle.

"Well it wasn't the best of presents," my brother tells me honestly. I gasp. You did not!

"You take that back! It was a really good present!" I defend my choice of gifts, slamming the knife and fork onto the table, boiling with outrage.

"Eh," is all he has to say. I shove my plate forward harshly, huffing. The chair screeches when I grumpily push back, irritated. I get up and walk away from Max without a word. I'm so getting him back for saying that.

"Mads, come on! Let's talk about this!" My brother calls out but I flip him off just as the automatic doors shut behind me. A few of the boys by the pool hear the commotion, attention gained, and watch me as I storm out.

Bytes laughs as he knows Max and I had an argument about something petty. I throw him the bird too and disappear into the dark of night like a phantom.

My short-lived anger fizzles out and turns into a sort of brewing excitement. I'm glad he got under my skin because now I have a reason to do some scheming and get Max back for it.

I stroll under the night sky, my muscles and mind at ease with the peaceful surroundings.

This time expansive clouds blanket the beautiful constellations. This causes a frown to embrace my expression. I can't fault the welcoming warmth of the air though.

I follow the concrete paths with my hands stuffed in my hoodie and my eyes scanning the environment around me.

In the distance, masked within the shadows formed by artificial light, I spot a figure who I recognise on instinct. How could I not recognise him at this point?

"Hey Steelo, wait up!" I call out to him with a slight hope he slows.

Jack glances over his broad shoulder and stops, waiting. I notice his lip raise ever so slightly.