Is Damien okay?

Kes' POV:

I walk up to Damien when they're in the kitchen, "hey Damien, you okay?"
"Hm?"
"You good?"
"What do you mean?"
"You just seem a bit upset."
"I'm fine."
"You sure?"
"I'm... I'm always sure."
"Look, what's wrong?"
"Nothing! Nothing Is wrong, so could you please stop asking me that?"
"I just want to make sure you're okay, you have been through a lot of shit!"
"Yes, And- and I don't want to talk about it! Any of it! I am fine!"
"You do not need to yell at me! I just want to know what the fuck is wrong with you!"

"You want to know what's so ducking wrong with me!?" They shout, "Fine! With all that has happened to me in my life, all the shit I have been through, all the shit people have done to me, all I want to do is die! But I was told that I can never die, because im not supposed to! That is why I am still here! Why I am still alive! I just- I just want the fucking pain to go away, but too bad, it's not allowed to go away, so I have to deal with all of this shit for the rest of my life, and there is nothing I can do about it. Do you know what it feels like, to want to die, every day, and know that if you try, you'll just come back? Do you know what it feels like to be told that everything, absolutely everything, depends on you being alive? It is like being told that you are going to have the weight of the whole world on your shoulders, for the rest of your life, and that weight will never be able to be lifted. That. That is what is wrong with me."

I didn't know what to say.
I look at the floor.

"I'm going for a walk, I'll be back in a bit. I just... need to think..."

They walk past me and leave. Toni walks into the kitchen, "where's Nomy gone?"
"A walk."
"Oh. Are they okay?"
"I... I don't know."
"Oh. Nomy will be okay. They are awesome."
"Yeah. They are."...

Me and Toni are sat in the living room watching some cartoon and my phone rings.

"Hello?"
"K-Kes?"
"Damien Jean?"
"I... I n-need help..."
"Damien, what's wrong?"
"I-I'm n-near the c...cafe... I... was struggling with breath...breathing and then... I-I... th-these guys s-started beating me up... I... I can't... I can't breath... pl...please help me..."
"I- Okay, I'm on my way. I just need to find someone to look after Toni, okay?"
"O- okay..."

He hangs up and I look at Toni, "Damiens in trouble, okay? I need to go help them. You know the Neighbours?"

He nods.

"They're going to look after you for a little bit, until I come and pick you up."

He nods again.

I pick him up and carry him to the neighbours house.

"Hey Kes! Damien about?"
"N-no, I have to go help them, can you look after Toni please?"
"Of course! Hey little man, how you been?"

He takes Toni, "lucky you, I just made some of my chocolate cookies! Let's go try 'em!"

"Thanks Ben."
"Anytime."

He closes the door and I run to the cafe where me and Damien usually get coffee and I find Damien on the floor of the alleyway beside the cafe.

"Damien!!"

I crouch down, "Damien, are you okay?"
"I- I don't know..."
"I'm calling an ambulance, okay?"

I get out my phone...

When the ambulance arrives, they get Damien into the back and they agree to stop at the neighbours house to pick up Toni and Ben ends up coming too.

They rush Damien to an ER.

When I eventually get to see Damien, they're balling their eyes out and I rush in, "Damien!?"

They cover their face with the pillow.
"Damien, what's wrong?"

Someone grabs my arm. I turn around to see who it is. It's a doctor.

"Come outside for a minute."

We leave the room, "Damien has asked me not to tell anyone what's wrong with them. If they decide to tell you, then that is their choice."
"Oh... okay..."
"Maybe Just... sit with them for a bit."
"Okay."

I go back in and Damien is trying to calm down.

I take their hand, "are you okay?"

They sit up and hug me, "where's Toni?"
"Bens got him. They're in the waiting room."
"Who's Ben?"
"Our neighbour. He lives on the right of us."
"Can you go get Toni please?"
"Of course."

At that moment, Ben walks in with Toni, "hey there! Damien, you okay?"

"Can I have my son please?"
"Of course."

Ben sits Toni on the bed and he lays against Damien, "are you good Nomy?"

"Um... for now, yes..."

They run their fingers through Tonis Faded Buzz cut. It's getting slightly long on top, but Toni won't let me cut it again. Even though he wanted his hair like that in the first place. It does suit him though.

"How are you, Toni?"
"There is this person at school. And... he's really nice."
"That's good, are you his friend?"

Toni nods, "he's my only friend."
"You're only Friend?"
"I get ner....nervous around people I don't know. But with him I am okay."
"That's good. as long as you have one friend, then you'll be fine."
"I... like him..."
"Well yes, he's your friend, isn't he? I like all my friends?"

His little cheeks go pink.

"Oh! Oh, you mean like like?"

He presses his face against Damiens chest.

"Aw, little Toni has a crush! You should invite him over for tea when I get out of hospital! My my, this has improved my mood one hundred percent!"...