Pets

"Are you okay?" The stranger asks, once my coughing fit is over.

I nod, "I just don't understand something..."
"What's that?"
"I was told I wasn't meant to die, but then some days or weeks after I got back to the living world from Being dead for six or seven or so years, I was diagnosed with a terminal illness. And it is painful, and my husband doesn't know and neither does my son, but what confuses me is that I can't die. Does that mean I have to live forever with this pain?"
"That's deep. Do you need a hug?"
"Please."

She walks around the table, sits beside me and hugs me, "it's gonna be okay..."
"Thank you..."
"Wait, so... what terminal illness were you diagnosed with?"
"Can you guess?"
"Well... you were coughing a lot... so... cancer?"
"Bingo!"
"And you say you haven't told your husband?"
"No, I don't want him to worry."
"Oof. Well, I'm always just say here at the cafe if you want to have a random chat. Doesn't even have to be about cancer, it could be about... cats! Cats are a fun topic. What's your name?"
"Damien Jean."
"I'm Hetty."

Kes calls me, "hey Damien Jean."
"Hello, my love."
"So.. me and Toni are at the pet store. To buy a cat. Cause we haven't bought one yet. Even though it's been like... seven years since you died? So, yeah. We know you want him to be called Dean. So... um... what colour? I mean... there's this angry looking brownish blondish one. And it has blue eyes. Which is weird because I thought most brown cats had browny yellowy eyes."
"That one then."
"He keeps hissing and batting his paw at absolutely nothing."
"He's hunting ghosts. He's Dean Winchester."
"Dean who?"
"Never mind."
"Okay. I know we want the brown cat, but there's this really cute black cat and he's super affectionate. Wait!! There's this big brown floppy eared dog!!"
"Just get all three."
"Oh my god, can we??"
"Yes. Tell you what, I'll help you take them home and my friend Hetty can help if she hasn't got anywhere to be."
"Hetty?"
"She got me away from this pestering reporter and her camera friend."
"Oh. Cool. Not cool that you were being bothered by people, but cool that she got you away from them."
"Yep. Anyway, we'll be there in a bit!"
"Okay, love you."
"Love you too!"

He hangs up and me and Hetty head to the pet shop.

The owner walks up to us, "hello, can I help you?"
"I'm looking for my husband, he should be here, wanting to purchase multiple pets."

He looks at me blankly.

"He has white hair? Pale skin? Red eyes? Is with our small thirteen year old with a crew cut?"
"Oh, those two! Yeah, they're in the back playing with the pets they purchased."
"How many?"
"Four. Two cats, a dog and a bearded dragon."
"Okay."

We go into the back and Toni is sat with the bearded dragon sat looking quite comfortably on his leg and he is carefully stroking its back.

"What's their name?"
"Solnste"
"The Sun. that's very cute."
"Thanks! I-I picked it myself!"
"And you picked Well!"

I point the the brown cat being protected by the black cat, "the brown one is Dean, and The black one is John."

Kes smiles and pets his big brown floppy haired dog, "and this is Sammy!"

I gasp, "we have all of the boys."
"Eh?"
"John Winchester and his sons Sam and Dean. And Sam is really tall, and that dog is big compared to the cats. You really need to watch that show, it's so awesome."
"Okay. I'm sure we'll all watch it as a family at some point."

Solnste looks up at Toni and then climbs up onto his shoulder, being supported by Tonis hand, "I'm g-going to be full...fully responsible for him. And... and... use... and use m-my Pocket money to buy th-the things he needs."
"When did you become so grown up?"
"I-I did?"
"I don't know, d-did you?"

Toni shrugs.

"Let's all go home, shall we?"...

I'm lying on the sofa in the living room shirtless as it's boiling hot, and I feel someone put something on my stomach.

I look up to see Toni watching Solnste crawl about on my stomach, getting confused by my abs.

He sort of lays down, basking in the light that is shining on to me from a window.

His little eyes are closed and he looks like he's smiling.

I stroke his head delicately and he raises his head a little as I tickle under his chin.

"Nomy?"
"Yes dear?"
"Why are your nails that l-long and pointy?"

I look at my sharp, one and a quarter inch, shiny black nails, "self defence."

He nods, "th-that's smart. M-my engi...Engi...neering teacher said he would b-be surprised if you couldn't build a life like robot."
"I am definitely going to do that when I have the time."

He puts his thumbs up and gently tries to pick up Solnste as he tries to latch onto me with his little scaly fingers.

I put my nail under his little hand and he takes hold of it.

"Be careful darling, you don't want to damage your little hands on those sharp points."

I look at Toni, "it also relaxes your father when I lightly massage his scalp with my nails. He tells me it cures his headaches."

He points to his head, "I have a headache."

He takes my hand and puts it on his head. I lightly massage his scalp and he gasps after a short while, "are you magic?"
"Yes, but I don't use it."
"Why?"
"I almost killed my brother, now sister.
You see these chains?"

He nods.

"They're binding chains. They limit me to only showing my wings and horns. I requested that I have them. And I can't take them off. And I don't want to take them off."
"Okay."

He hugs me, "it's okay."...