♥ 𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐒𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐓𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞 ♥

August 28th 1969

Paul's POV

Never in my life had I heard somebody scream as loud as Linda did in the middle of the night. I woke up and sat bolt upright, immediately turning to her.

"What's wrong?" I asked her hurriedly, "is it the baby?" My heart was beating so quickly in my chest that I thought it would explode.

Linda nodded, "it's coming - Paul, get Emeraude here now." I nodded and got out of the bed, the sleep completely washed from my mind as I practically ran to the phone downstairs and dialled the familiar number of George and Emeraude's house.

It rang for several minutes, but somebody picked it up eventually. "This better be important." A sleepy George Harrison grumbled into his receiver.

"Linda's in labour!" I exclaimed, "she needs Emeraude over here now!"

I could almost imagine George's eyes widening and a smile spreading across his face as he called up the stairs to Emeraude, "Linda's having the baby!" I wondered if Emeraude was half as excited as I was. George spoke to me, "she's just getting dressed and putting Jack back down - the phone woke 'im up."

"Tell her to hurry!" I hung up and then ran back upstairs.

Heather was standing in the doorway to mine and Linda's room, the teddy bear that I had bought for her the first time that I had ever met her was tucked under her arm. I picked her up and kissed her cheek, "don't worry about mummy, sweetheart," I said to her softly, carrying her away from Linda, who was hissing in pain as another contraction rolled over her, "she's going to be fine. Soon, you're going to have a new brother or sister, y'know like we talked about?"

She nodded, though she looked very frightened. "Does it hurt?" She asked me innocently.

I bit my lip, not wanting to lie to my Heather, but also wanting to protect her from the truth. I nodded, "it does," she looked alarmed and I wondered if I had said the best thing, so I quickly added, "but as soon as the baby's out, it all goes away."

"Does she have to be alone?"

I shook my head, "your AuntieEm's going to come and be with 'er," I explained, "you like AuntieEm, don't you?"

Heather nodded. I took her back into her room, which was just down the hallway from mine and Linda's. I tucked her into bed and then sat beside her, knowing that Linda would want me to make sure that Heather was okay before I went to see if she was.

Heather looked frightened as we heard Linda's shrieking from the other room, slightly muffled. I assumed that she was burying her head in the pillow or something similar, not wanting to scare Heather.

But it wasn't working.

I took her into my arms and kissed the top of her head, folding my body around hers so that she felt safe, warm and protected. "Do you want me to tell you a story?" I asked. She loved a story, and I usually told her one before bed every night.

But Heather shook her head.

"Can you sing me a song?"

"A song?" I echoed in surprise. She had never asked me for one before. Heather nodded and I asked, "which one?"

"One for me." Heather yawned as she burrowed her head against my shoulder.

I had not written Heather a song and hadn't intended to... however, I knew that she needed the comfort at that moment in time, so I began to sing the first words that came to my mind when I thought of my darling daughter, who had come into my life only a few years previously.