44•

• Maddi POV •

I woke up to the blinds in my room being opened. I groaned and rolled over, then I remembered I lived alone. I shot up and screamed for my life.

Mason started laughing, I threw a pillow at him and he caught it before it hit him in the face. "I forgot you stayed the night." I groaned. He shrugged, "I thought you'd like to know that there is a police officer inside and he's going to arrest you." He announced.

I smiled and got up, before I walked out the room Mason grabbed my arm and held out a brush. "You might wanna use this." He smirked. I laughed and took it before rushing to the bathroom. I brushed my teeth and all that good stuff before I walked out to see Mason in that extra room playing on this little tiny device he called a PSP.

I continued to walk until I saw James. I smiled when he stood up and hugged me. "You're not ready?" He stated, I nodded. "I know, Abi stayed the night and she can be quite the active one." I told him, he nodded, "I mean, if you want to miss your first day in college, I could always skip a day of work, you know? Work on my undercover case on a girl named Matilda Greene." He smirked grabbing my waist.

"I would like that very much." I smirked kissing his nose, "Ew! No, I am still here!" I heard Mason shout. I laughed really hard. "I'm gonna get changed." I said walking away. I walked upstairs to my room and went through the clothes in my closet.

I found a dark green coloured blouse and a pair of black skinny jeans. Forwards shoes, I just wore some black boots.

When I walked back I noticed James was in his uniform. I smiled, "Awe, this is probably like the first time I've seen you wear that in a while." I cooed. Mason appeared and he stared at James for a while. "Um, is this how you got me back?" He asked referring to the fact that I was dating one of the guards that were on our case.

I laughed in shock, "Mason, not now please." I demanded. He put his hands up in defense and laughed. "If you have to be in class, I should probably go home." Mason said, I nodded. "We'll drop you off." James said, Mason rolled his eyes. "Uh, can I go to Carter's apartment?" He asked.

I glared at him, knowing what he was doing. "I don't care." I shrugged pretending I didn't care. "but you gotta ask him for yourself." I said, he shrugged and walked out my living room.

I sighed and walked closer to James. I grabbed his hand and made him sit on the couch with me. I laid my head into his chest and ran my fingers across his knuckles and he kissed my head. Mason came out a couple seconds later with a smirk on his face.

"He said I could, he'll pick me up from here." He announced, I shook my head, "Text him and tell him you're at Laura's because I have to go." I told him. James chuckled, "He's a big kid now, he should be able to stay home alone, I was watching my sister when I was ten."

I sighed, "Fine, but I swear if anything breaks I'll hurt you." I joked. He shrugged. "Here, lock the door on your way out and keep that key somewhere safe." I said, handing him an extra set of my apartment keys.

He smiled and put it in his pocket.

***

A couple days ago, I enrolled myself in the basic college courses. There wasn't any typical 'Maddi meets a hot new college boy, falls in love with him and cheats on her boyfriend' meetings either, I actually didn't even make friends there.

At the moment it was four, meaning I was currently working in the library. I put all the books back in order and if anyone would need any assistance, there I was. I got paid a decent amount of money, ten dollars an hour, and only because I worked every weekend on sundays for almost the full day, in between classes, and if I don't have any plans I just show up. No one really wants to work there, meaning they needed help and would pay anything, also for money to pay for books and my apartment and extra things, I worked at Wal-Mart.

The bell that notified me that someone was entering went off. I turned around from the cart I was pushing which was full of over due books and books that were just left around.

The person who entered was Carter. I smiled, but then quickly wiped it away, it was kind of a heart breaking moment...

I forgot Carter and I weren't together and I kind of just made a fool out of myself getting so happy to see him. He smiled and walked towards me. "I need a book, a really good one." He announced, "Go home, Carter." I mumbled pushing the cart down the library and of course he followed.

"It's a public library." He reminded me, I rolled my eyes, "I just came for a book."

"Great, go find one yourself, there are computers over there," I said pointing to the monitors, "and if you need any help, the librarian is behind the desk." I smiled.

He shrugged and walked away, I sighed and started stacking the books in their correct homes. I stood up on my tip toes and shoved one of the books on the shelf, I felt someone behind me, it wasn't like I needed any help either, I could reach it just fine.

I saw two arms go to either side of my face. I turned around, and of course it was Carter. I pushed him back softly and continued to work. "Why do you keep walking away from me? Did I do something wrong?" He asked, I shook my head, "Then why?" He asked.

I shrugged and kept going, he grabbed my arm to make me stop. "Look, Carter. I don't know what you want from me, but what I do know is that I have a boyfriend and if I'm around you, it intimidates me to do things that would end my relationship and James doesn't deserve that." I stated. "Neither did Sasha." He mumbled.

"That is completely different, Carter, and you know it, I had no idea you were dating someone, so you see how vulnerable the both of us get when we are around each other." I told him, "That isn't what I was saying, I just don't understand why we can't be friends, if you give me a good reason, I'll leave you alone." he told me. I didn't want him to leave me alone, but I just felt guilty.

"I still love you, Carter, and I don't think I could ever stop-" "So why can't we just be together?" He asked, he didn't look desperate, he just looked curious. "That's the thing, Carter. I hurt you too much and you hurt me also, it's an unhealthy relationship that is getting no where, I'm sorry but we aren't characters in a book. We won't have an ending together and I'm sorry, it's just life and we have to live it up to the best, I can't do that with you." I lied.

I could do that with him, I wanted to, but he could cheat on me just as easily as he did Sasha. I couldn't live with that.

He started laughing, not a hurt laugh, not a confused laugh. He was literally laughing at me. I couldn't help, but join him. "Why are we laughing?" I asked. He shook his head and grabbed my hands, "Look, I will never force you to do anything you don't want to, but I can't just not be in your life. If that means all I can do is watch you dress from your window, then so be it, but I can't just not ever speak to you again." He said.

I smiled a real smile for today. "I don't want for you to not be in my life, so I guess we can start over, you know. From the very first day we met. As of now, all I know is that you're some guy who wears snap backs and is friends with Matthew." I said, noticing he didn't wear his hats anymore.

He chuckled running his hands through his hair, "I'll start again." He smiled. I nodded and someone came in the building. "You should probably leave so I can continue to work." I said, he shrugged, "I wasn't stalking you, it was just a really weird coincidence that you worked here. I actually do need a really interesting book." He chuckled.

"Oh, I didn't know you read." I stated, I mean of course I knew he could read and that he did read, but I just didn't think he'd do it optionally. "It's for community service, I read to kids in foster homes." He told me, I nodded not sure what to say. Either he wanted hours to make himself look good or he did something bad and had to pay it off that way.

I wasn't going to ask, it was a topic for someone he loved, if he did love me, it just was a topic that wasn't for me.

"Maddi, someone needs help." I turned to see my boss, "Oh, well, when you finish up she's by the computers." She told me, I nodded and Carter looked through my cart. "You can go help her, I can look for my own books." He laughed. I nodded and walked away.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

This book is so close to being over lol , I don't really know what to say here , but I love you guys so have a good night or day (different time zones haha)