21•

• Maddi POV •

Today, Carter was coming with me to our first baby check up. He stopped by the Dollar General to get me a quick fix snack. I was hungry, pregnancy symptoms...

The lady in front of the line, she looked farely old and slightly poor. She had on an oversized t shirt, light blue sweats, a very thin cloth jacket, and her feet were covered in black and white striped fur socks. She looked at me and I gave her a smile. I felt bad for the lady. I looked down at myself, I'd say I looked similar, but I didn't.

In my opinion I looked decent...

The lady at the cash register sneezed knocking me from my thoughts, "Bless you." I said softly, she continued doing her job and not paying one mind nor thank you to the sweetie that blessed her... After waiting a couple seconds for her to thank me, "Fine... I take my bless you back." I said equally as loud. Carter chuckled, "What?" I asked. He smiled at me, "Nothing, you're just so cute." He complimented. I thanked him.

"Seventeen eighty nine." The cashier spoke. The lady pulled out her wallet and there was only a bunch of one's, after she counted them out she needed about like five dollars. I needed my five dollars to pay for my stuff, I had extra money in the car, but I didn't want to have to make two trips, it was kind of cold outside. "I don't have-" I stopped her before she could say anything.

"Here." I smiled and handed her the bill. "Oh no, I couldn't take that." She smiled back pushing my hand away softly. Her words said no, but her face said please and thank you. "It's fine." I shrugged. Carter grabbed my waist and pulled me back into him.

"Thank you so much, hon." she said. "No problem." I smiled again. She took her bags and left. "You're so nice." Carter told me. "because she wouldn't have gotten shit from me." He added.

I sighed softly at his joke. I knew he was only kidding, all of me actually hoped he had been. "I gave her my money." I told him. He shrugged and pulled out his wallet. "I was paying anyways, there was no way in Hell I'd ever let my girl buy her own stuff as long as I'm there." He announced. I pecked his lips and after she rang everything up. We paid- he paid, and then we left.

***

"Alright, lift your shirt to the top of your stomach." the doctor told me. I could sense Carter's uncomfortableness. I grabbed his hand as he cleared his throat. "Can't we get a girl doctor?" He asked. I rolled my eyes and let out a soft huff. "Oh please." I snapped, "It's for our baby, chill out maybe?" I added, then laughed because I rhymed. Matilda Suess... Still not used to it.

"What? I don't feel comfortable with any man besides me touching you." He said nonchalantly. I shook my head, "Ma'am, I could get you a new doctor if it's that serious." The doctor offered. I was going to reject his offer, but then Carter squeezed my hand. "Yes, please." I caved in. He nodded and got up to leave, leaving us alone.

"What makes this all about you?" I asked. He shrugged, "You're my girlfriend." He stated, I knew that, I knew I was his girlfriend. "Okay?" I snapped. "Okay, I don't want that man touching you." He spat quietly.

"And what makes you think I want a woman to touch me?" I snapped, "not that I want either of them to touch me, but that's not the point. The point is that I love you and not him and I'm carrying your child and not his and he was like, a thousand years old." I added.

"Wait, what did you just say?" He asked. I knew, deep down, he was referring to me saying I loved him, it slipped and I didn't have time to face the fact that I love him. So I was going to play it off and pretend like I didn't know. "He's like a thousand years old?" I pretended to be utterly confused.

He opened his mouth to say something, but I shushed him. "Are we really having this conversation right now?" I questioned. The door opened again and in came a woman doctor.