33•

• Maddi POV •

"Thank you for the ride." I said to Jack. He smiled showing off his perfect teeth. "It was this or being murdered." he said. I nodded and got out, he also got out though. He grabbed my suit case and helped me.

I had texted James ahead of time to let him know I was going to stop by, so I'm not showing up unexpected.

"Okay, before you leave I wanted to say thank you." I told Jack. He smiled again, "You said that."

I nodded, "I mean, for everything. You know, I was always such an asshole to you, I used you for my own needs and then you tell me you did some research on me, no matter how creepy that sounded, you still cared enough about me to try and then I just blow you off when I see you two years later and I probably made you think that I was going to get with you, but I ended up just going back to Carter and I didn't even explain shit to you, not that I'm saying you wanted to be with me because why would someone that looks like you wanna be with an asshole and when you help me out in my worst states I'm still a bitch." I babbled.

He chuckled, "I didn't have to help you out. Sadie called thinking that you ran off with me for some odd reason so I assumed you were missing and I looked for you, and any guy would be more than lucky to be with you, yeah you're sometimes an asshole and a real bitch, but you have your reasons. Just don't get in the habit of it." He said.

I nodded lost for words, "Just be safe." he said. I nodded and he held his arms out. "Can I have a hug?" He asked smiling. I smiled for the first time since I lost my baby and I hugged him.

I took in his scent as he had his arms wrapped around my body just above my butt and mine were around his neck. He was tall enough for my head to be on his chest. I really did need this.

"Alright, take care." he said walking backwards to his car. I nodded and rung the doorbell. James answered it shortly and he let me inside.

"Is that guy Carter? Your ass boyfriend." He said. I shook my head, "and Carter isn't an ass." I muttered, not really sure on the boyfriend part. "Tell me what happened." He said. I sighed and followed him to his living room.

I explained everything, leaving out unimportant parts, but I told him everything. He laughed at half of it, he chuckled when I told him about the jar thing. I kind of cried during the part about losing my baby girl, but I kept telling the story.

"Maddi, you broke his phone." He reminded me. I shrugged, "he threw my baby against the wall."

He shook his head, "Did he mean to do it?" This time I didn't have an answer, I don't think he'd ever do anything to hurt me, but I broke his phone which probably hurt him so you never know. He was pretty pissed and people do things out of anger.

"It doesn't matter he still did it." I said.

He shook his head, "I don't know the kid, but I do know, from what you said, he loved you and really wanted to have that baby. He wouldn't purposely hurt you and by the sounds of it, he wouldn't of kept trying after you beat the shit out of him. You're kind of selfish for it all. You can't always think of yourself. You know I was put on probation in my job because I helped you out, I was so close to being promoted and actually being a police officer instead of a dumb ass guard yet I still help you and I'm giving you a place to stay for the night? So that should tell you something, just because someone does something and it hurts you doesn't mean they did it purposely and that you should just give up on them."

I put my hands over my face and just took in everything he just said. "God, oh my god. I'm so sorry, I shouldn't of been so selfish." I said, my voice was cracking and tears were threatening to spill, but I refused to cry anymore today. I'm done with it all. I need to get my shit together and fast.