49•Pete

• Carter POV •

I was getting out the shower and my phone started going off. It was Maddi, it was also like ten.

As soon as I answered she started speaking, "Mason hasn't came home yet, I figured he was with some friends, but I texted him and called and he hasn't replied and I don't know what to do." She panicked. "Calm down, I'll call him, maybe he's just ignoring you." I told her, she let out a short cry, "I'm on my way." I said hanging up.

"Were y'all having phone sex?" Matthew said looking at me weirdly, I shook my head, "She thinks Mason is missing." I told him, "I'll be right back."

"I'll come, that's my bro, man." he said, I shook my head, "You gotta stay here just in case he pops up here." I instructed. He nodded and I walked out with my keys.

I was barely even dressed, I had no shirt or shoes on and my hair was wet.

I drove as fast as I could until I reached Maddi's apartment. She was pacing around her porch and as soon as I got out my car she ran over to me and hugged me so tightly. I hugged back and she was breathing really fast. "Did he answer?" She asked. "I didn't call yet, I forgot. As soon as I heard you cry I kind of dropped everything." I shrugged.

"Please call him." She begged.

I nodded and called him, no one answered, it went straight to voice mail, "I'm calling the police." Maddi said. I grabbed her arm and made her walk inside and sit on the couch. "Wait, okay? Was he acting weird today?" I asked her, she nodded. "He asked me for lunch money and he had like a wad of cash in his hands when I saw him, then when he texted me today his words were all over the place." She spoke fast. I nodded, "Call the police and I'm gonna call him again." I said.

She nodded and stood up. This time when I dialed his number it was ringing. "It's ringing." I said, panicking also. No one answered so I called again, this time on the fifth answer someone answered. "Thank god, Mason where are you?" I questioned him, Maddi dropped her phone on the couch and took mine from me.

"Mason please come home, I don't know what happened, but you-" someone cut her off and I could hear them speaking. "Who the hell is this!? Where is Mason!?" She yelled. I grabbed her hand, she started tearing up, "Is he okay?" She asked, I heard a sigh then more muffled words. "I'm on my way." She said.

We both went to my car and I started to drive. "Virginia Hospital." She said.

The whole drive there Maddi was crying so hard, "What did they say?" I asked, "They just said to go to that Hospital." She sobbed. I drove faster because it was some distance between where we were.

As soon as I pulled in she jumped out the car, I had to run to catch up to her. She kept going once she was inside, a lady yelled after her, I grabbed her arm and dragged her back. "Who are you here for?" The lady asked, I told her the information and she let us go back.

When we walked in there was a bunch of people in there and there was machines hooked up and so much noise going on. When we got in closer, the look on Maddi's face was frightening. It was the same face she had when the nurse told us that she had a miscarriage.

She walked over to him with her hands covering her mouth and tears coming out her eyes, she was quietly crying. I walked over to her and she started crying louder. "What happened?" I asked in shock.

Mason was laid back on a bed with a breather thing over his nose and mouth and he has his his right side of his body from what I could see was wrapped up.

"We're not sure who did it, the police are still investigating, but there was a bullet wound in his right arm, we found him in the middle of a neighborhood, he was shot behind someone's house, he was lucky they came out to help him." A man spoke.