XXVI

Dinner comes and goes by in awkward silence, everyone still startled from tonight's previous events. Hisoka's eyes have been burning into the side of my head ever since. Well, there goes my plans for tonight. And I was looking forward to playing with him.

As much as that event has traumatized me, I've moved on from it. It happened yes but it was only attempted. Nothing was followed through with. Yet the thought of it makes me nauseous. Excusing myself from the table, I rush into the bathroom emptying my now eaten dinner into the toilet bowl. 

My body now weak from its loss of sustenance, I attempt to hold up myself, but my effort proves futile. Before my knees could hit the bathroom floor, I'm held up by the waist, the secure arm around me belonging to none other than Hisoka. 

"Easy, breathe," He calms in a soothing tone. "You're alright," His other hand draws gentle circles in my back. "Done?" His warm comforting tone is a slight stab to my ego, but right now it's fulfilling its intended purpose. Nodding, he picks me up bridal style and carries me to the sink, putting me to sit on the cold marble counter. He rolls up the sleeves on his shirt and grabs a few paper towels from the dispenser on his right. 

He runs it briefly under the water before bringing it to my mouth, wiping around it before disposing of it in the trash. He reaches into his back pocket and pulls out a mint. 

"Where did you get these?" I ask looking up at him confused. He unwraps the mint and gently pulls my jaw down placing the mint on my tongue. 

"I noticed that the hostess and bar had a little jar filled with them when I came in to use the restroom earlier," He chimes. Silence falls between us as neither of us knows what to say. "Are you ready to head back?" He hums softly tucking a strand of hair behind my ear. 

Silently nodding, he offers his hand out to me which I take to help hop down. I'm wearing heels. I'm not risking adding a sprained ankle to the list of tonight's drama. Walking out of the bathroom, everyone's inside, their hair and clothes all a bit damp. They're all standing and talking, the table to their side covered in take-out boxes in bags with tags. 

"What happened?" I ask, my voice barely audible. My mouth still dry and bitter from throwing up. 

"Rain started to come down," Bokuto chirps shaking the water out of his hair like a wet puppy. 

"I guess our night's ending early then," Hisoka hums beside me. I portal the kids along with Illumi and Eva back home while the rest of us head back to the house. Leaving them in the kitchen, I head up to my room quickly stripping from my clothes hopping into the shower. After brushing my teeth and using twice as much mouth wash, I change into one of Hisoka's t-shirts with only a pair of underwear under it. 

The coffee table in our room had a bottle of scotch with a few glasses on it. Grabbing a glass I pour out a hefty amount into it taking it to the balcony with me as I sit just gazing endlessly into the horizon. 

"While I did silently agree to not bother you for a while," Hisoka's voice calls to me bringing me out of my headspace. Looking towards our room, he's standing in the door frame with a towel slung around his neck, his usual grey sweats low on his hips. "Would you mind?" He asks pointing to his dampened hair. 

Patting the space next to me, he comes over and sits pulling me onto his lap, his hands secured on my hips, his thumbs grazing up and down my sides. Resting my glass on the balcony railing, I take the towel from around his neck and start gently drying his hair, massaging his scalp in the process. He loves to wash his hair then come to me to dry it for him. He does it for the head massage. 

I think he does this purposely. Whenever I'm in a bad mood, he does this. The sneaky bitch. I'll admit though. It does brighten my mood a bit every time. The comfortable silence between us says more than one would think. It's a silent reassurance of not letting the other go through something alone whilst still respecting their desire to not speak of the matter yet.