XXXVIII

"It was always 'you could have done this better' or 'you need to work on this next time' constantly back and forth for years. Eventually, I left, but I won't lie. It did negatively affect me for a while. Then I met your mother a few years after and so far, things have been much better," From the day we met, she has almost always been my world when I need it most. My biggest weakness no doubt, but undoubtedly one of my biggest strengths as well. 

"It's funny," She breaks the silence gathering around us. "Not going through what you did I mean. It's funny that mom always mentioned someone who did the same for her. She said that they were the candle in her dark forest. She would say the light used to flicker, sometimes dim but it always helped her escape the dark when she needed it. But she could never remember their name. At least that's what she told us when we asked. She used to sit at this unmarked grave just on the edge of the palace grounds for hours, sometimes crying too. Could that have been you?"

"Perhaps? But why keep my grave unmarked and not speak my name?" The more I discover about that time, the more questions I have. 

"Maybe my father banned her from speaking of you on castle grounds? It wouldn't look good on him to other countries for his wife's ex to be acknowledged in his court. Honestly, I don't even think you were from our kingdom since I never came across any records of you at all" Again, more questions than answers. 

"Your father would go to that extreme just to erase me from your mother's life? No offense to you, but seems a bit pathetic for him to be so insecure and bitter that he has to erase every last trace of his wife's ex-lover not to feel emasculated," A small laugh escapes me without realizing it. "Sorry. I don't mean to disrespect your father but quite frankly I dislike him more and more every time I hear about him,"

"No, you're right. It does look like that no matter which way you look at it," She begins to gaze off, seemingly being pulled into her thoughts. 

"Everything alright in here?" (Y/N) comes inside, a warm smile on her face carrying her breakfast tray with her, Roman and Reya tagging behind. Athena still seems to be lost in thought as her gaze remains fixed on the same spot. 

"I believe so. Are you?" I ask. She rests the tray down on the coffee table then comes over to my side of the bed where she nudges me over slightly so she can climb in, her arms wrapping around my torso while her head lies on my chest just near my heart. The twins climb up from the front of the bed, squeezing themselves between Athena and me. It brings me indescribable joy to see her smile again knowing there is some authenticity to it. She isn't fully herself yet but she's getting somewhere on the spectrum of it. 

"Athena, you alright sweetie?" She hums. Athena jumps at her words, shaking her thoughts away.

"I- I think so. I just had a weird memory or something," Whatever it was, it seemed to worry her slightly. "Are you doing better Mom?" She changes the topic. 

"I'll be okay, don't worry," Her voice comes out hushed and somewhat strained. She isn't lying, but she isn't being truthful either. 

"Can we celebrate Christmas this year together?" Reya beams in. 

"Oh? What do you mean by that?" I ask.

"Like decorating the house, a tree, and all those things they show on TV. It looks fun," She continues with the brightest smile.

"Sure darling why don't you three go get dressed and Hisoka and I can take you," The twins race out of our room to theirs, Athena following behind. With them gone, I pull my little dragon onto my lap, my hands laying comfortably on her hips.

"Are you sure you're up to this love?" I ask worried for her well-being. She gives me a small smile then kisses my forehead, something I often do to comfort her.