XIII

As night falls on us, the lanterns and string lights make themselves evident as their bright glow allows us to stay out late. It's relaxing to see everyone just let loose and not be tensed up from our usual daily lives. 

Though something's been bothering me and I need to talk to Athena about it, I guess it could wait. She looks so happy talking with Kuroo as well as the other guys. Sometimes I forget the only company she has around her age is Amane, and as much as I love Amane, she isn't the gal pal type. 

"What is it with you and your kin gravitating towards dangerous people?" Illumi comes up beside me sitting on the lounge chair next to me. 

"Must be in our blood I guess. Though I am slightly terrified to see who Roman brings home," Man I hope I don't have to skewer a girl to a wall or something. 

"What's the status of the mission?" Gulp. You know, I should have expected that at some point. 

"One possible suspect but no evidence, nothing out of the ordinary either" I sigh fixing my gaze on Hisoka in the pool with Roman and Reya lifting them out the water with bungee gum letting them cannonball into the pool. All three of them have grown so attached to him, I'm scared of what could happen if Kai comes back. He isn't gonna like his kids being so close with their mom's boyfriend who's dead in their time. 

"You're hesitant and not in the right headspace to finish this," No shit. Not gonna let him know he's right though. 

"Then what do you suggest brother?" I sigh bringing my glass to my lips. 

"I asked dad to let me help you out and he agreed, all you have to do is go to the races, take note of anything that may be suspicious then Hisoka and I'll do the rest," Honestly, I don't mind it. I could use the extra help.

"Fine," I agree. "One condition,"

"What?" He cocks his brow at me

"If our target is who I think it is, I get the kill," I state firmly. I need to be the one who ends him so that I can sleep a little better at night. 

"Fine," He doesn't question me further and for that I am grateful. 

"Hey, Lulu?" 

"Hmm?" 

"There's something I been meaning to ask you," I sigh turning my head to face him. 

"What is it?"

"Back when we were all on the island for my birthday ritual and Hisoka and I wasn't talking. Did you purposely bring him to the mountain so that we could resolve things?" 

"And what if I did?" Lunging out of my chair, I tackle him with a hug. 

"Thank you. For everything," In all honesty, he's the reason I met Hisoka, the reason I made up with Hisoka, the reason I met new friends, and overall he's never failed at looking out for me like the big brother he is. Though he isn't as problematic as I am, I do fulfill my sisterly roles in many ways that he notices and appreciates. 

"Why are you being so mushy? It's creepy," To creep him out more, I kiss him on the cheek. "Are you high? Intoxicated? Did Hisoka do something to you?"

"Shut up and take my affection you pain in the ass," He relaxes back into the chair with me hugging him from the side while his focus remains on E who's in the water. "How's she doing?" I huff breaking the momentary silence,  both of us looking towards the pool. 

"Fine, for now, aunt Lynn said she'll call back soon with the blood test results," He's worried about her and it shows. It's adorable really, how a person can change someone just by being in their lives.