XLI

... PRESENT TIME ...

Everyone sits at the coffee table in the living room, our usual spot for dinner. A comfortable silence blankets us as the TV plays a random cartoon the kids were previously watching in the background. Out of habit, my eyes glance toward my little dragon ever so often, her eyes burning into the skulls of the trouble trio while her chopsticks idly play with her dumplings. They hardly seem to notice her gaze since their eyes are glued to the TV. 

"Kids, can I ask you something?" She finally speaks after her long inner debate. With their now full attention on her, they nod in unison. She searches her mind for a bit before the words can come out. "Was your father in any way shape or form," She pauses briefly. "Was he ever bad to you?" Athena puts down her chopsticks and looks at me before looking at her mother. 

"I don't think so," Roman answers. 

"Me either," Reya adds. Athena's silence gives her away. Her mother's eyes narrow in on her. 

I haven't told her about what Athena said to me, mainly because it didn't cross my mind, yet I feel as if this could have ulterior motives behind it in the sense that there's more to the story than what any of us know, and the reason for their lack of knowledge would be from him. Just how deep do these mysteries run I wonder. 

After dinner, Illumi and Eva take the twins to who knows where. I must say, regardless of the fact none of the adults here could care less about that scum of a man we all do our best to protect his image to his younger offspring so they don't see him in a negative light. Though I'm not quite sure how long that can last given that at some point, I'm sure we're going to have to fight him. While I chose to sit on the couch, Athena and her mother opted to stay on the floor. 

Athena tells everything she told me to her mother going into deeper details as needed. I can visibly see the wheels in her head turning as if taking puzzle pieces and flipping them around to reveal a secret image. I lay my head against the back of the couch, my gaze fixed on the ceiling. 

"Knowing this now, there's a high possibility we can't trust any if not all of you or your sibling's memories. We won't be able to tell the truth from deception," My little dragon huffs as she throws her head back to lie on the couch cushion behind her. 

"Maybe there's a way to expose the truth," I add to the conversation. She raises her head to meet my gaze.

"How?" She tilts her head to the side, her brows furrowing at the center of her face.

With my cards in hand, I idly play with them, my hands moving independently, flipping, shuffling, mixing, and arranging the cards. For a moment, my eyes glimpse at three queens next to each other, an idea coming to mind. 

"Athena mentioned before your threads are linked to the 3 fates right?" Looking to Athena for confirmation, she nods slowly. "From what you've told me the three sisters create life, set its length and end, am I correct?" Looking at my little dragon, this time she's the one slowly nodding her head. "Wouldn't the middle one be able to see the contents of the person's life she's setting the length of?"

"Hypothetically, it's a possibility," Athena remarks seeming to understand where I'm going with this. "What you're thinking is, that since mom's connected to them she could see the truth! Am I right Hisoka?" A familiar fire flickers in her eyes as she understands my idea fully, a hopeful smile spreading widely across her face.

"Before you two get ahead of yourselves. Need I remind you I am on a suspension of my abilities for-till whenever. I'm not allowed to until grandpa Z clears me to," (Y/N) interrupts us.

"For-till whenever only applies if he disagrees, but this is part of the mission he gave you so technically it applies. Besides, you need your portals to go back and forth from the dragon lands to home quickly and safely," Athena suggests. You know, I'm beginning to see a little piece of myself in her. Combine that with her mother's ways, and that is probably a terrifying yet intriguing combination. It makes me wonder what our offspring would be like.