Part 39: Natasha

"Mommy, don't be silly, we just left home." She says from the back of the car, a little in the dark about what was actually happening.

Faint police sirens could be heard from inside the car. They were blocking the roads that the family wasn't taking, much to the relief of the parents, who slumped in their seats a little as they drove past them.

"I want my song." The younger one demands from the back seats, the older sister still not saying a word. The father pushed in the case and the radio flickers to life.

So, bye-bye, Miss American Pie
Drove my Chevy to the levee, but the levee was dry
And them good ol' boys were drinkin' whiskey and rye
Singin', "This'll be the day that I die
This'll be the day that I die"
Did you write the book of love
And do you have faith in God above
If the Bible tells you so?
Now, do you believe in rock 'n' roll
Can music save your mortal soul
And can you teach me how to dance real sl-

The song was cut short when the family arrived at a small, makeshift building with a thin white tarp flung over it, concealing what was inside.

"Come on Yelena, hurry up baby we gotta go." Their mom whispered as the dad removed the large white sheet, unveiling a plane underneath. Yelena helped get the plane ready while the other sister pulled a strip of photos from the back. All of them where pictures of her and her sister.

"Hey, go with your mom." The dad said as he ushered her to go to the plane with her mother while he remains in the open, scanning the area for threats.

The three got in the plane and put their seatbelts on while their father stood outside the building with a rifle he'd brought from the house.

"Why isn't dad in the plane?" Yelena asked, slightly worried that he wasn't with them.

"He's coming baby, he's coming." The mom quickly says, trying to convince her that everything would be ok. He ran over to a huge piece of rusted metal and flipped it with ease, clearing the path for the small aircraft.

Then, again the sound of sirens could be heard approaching them, getting closer and closer the father pulled the rifle from of his back and aimed it at the sound.

They came flying round the corner and onto the dirt runway, the father fired a bullet into the windshield of the car and sent it flying into the other junk lying around like tires and old pieces of metal.

He chased the plane as it began to pick up speed. The mother was in the drivers seat and accelerated with the children cooped up in the back.

While on the move, he fired back at the cop cars chasing him, his aim was off because of the running movement but it was enough to cause the cars to swerve and veer off to the side.

The cops started firing shots of their own at the family, missing all of them as the plane got faster and faster. "Mom?!" The older sister called out as she looked at the chaos out of the window. The father leapt on the wing as he caught the plane as it began to accelerate.

He rolled over onto his back and started firing once again, giving a little bit of breathing room between them and the police cars.

They cops inches closer and fired at the window of the plane, almost hitting the older girl. One bullet managed to work its way to the front of the plane and into the torso of the mother, who let out a scream.