Part 66: Fruit Loops

"Why was you shouting, black widow?" Ava asks as Natasha enters the room, cooling off while Bruce takes care of a malnourished Tony. Natasha was surprised, she was unaware that she could hear everything they were saying.

"Erm, we'll I got a little angry but I'm calm now." Natasha says as she walks over to the sofa, taking a seat relatively close to the little girl.

"Why was you angry, black widow?" Ava asks, he small feet swinging back and forth over the edge of the couch. Nat contemplated telling Ava the truth. That her parents were gone and someone she loved very much was gone also.

"Well, just like your mommy and daddy I miss someone too." She says, placing her hand on the small girls thigh. She was new to this, this parenting thing, so she was as uncomfortable as the little girl would have been.

"Are they going to be okay, my mommy and daddy and your person?" Ava asks.

"I don't know, Ava." She replies honestly. The little girl shuffles closer to the assassin, their legs touching. All of a sudden Ava's arms wrap around Natasha's torso, pulling her larger figure into hers.

The feeling is foreign to Natasha, the warmth of another person on her, the feeling of content she gets when someone clings onto her. It reminds her of Anya, and how she was dragged into this mess. They all were.

Natasha's past was horrible, so sickening that nightmares of the Red Room cause her to wake in the middle of the night, dripping in sweat, and yet nothing came close to the sight she'd witnessed that dreadful day in Wakanda. The sight of her soulmate turning into flakes, the fear in her eyes as she realised this was the end.

Natasha coiled her arm around the girl, holding her tight. Yet again the whole situation remaining her of Anya. Two girls relying on one another as a source of hope, comfort.

"Call me Natasha, or Nat." She says, looking down at the girl wrapped around her.

"Nat, will you take care of me now?" She asks, pulling her arms away from her body. She looks at her hands while she asks, then up at Nat while she waits for a reply.

"Of course." She responds, a small tear ever so slightly running down her cheek. "If that what you want." She adds.

"Yes." She mutters, looking down at her feet. Natasha attempts to snap out of her depressed sate and so wiped away the tear and stands.

"Okay, are you hungry? Would you like a shower?" The redhead asks, smiling down at her.

"I want fruit loops." She laughs, a smile spreading on both the girls faces.

"I'm not sure that we have any at the moment but I can go get some?" Nat asks her, leading her out of the room and towards the kitchen. She checks the cupboard for Fruit Loops, which, to no surprise, there isn't. "Sorry little one, we don't have any. How about we go get some?" She asks, Ava nodding happily.

They walk out of the kitchen and into the garage. Nat is thankful that Anya's car isn't there, but Tony's is, so they take his. The car ride is pretty quite as the two just look out at the lack of life. It's the feeling they try and describe in apocalypse movies, only on a scale unfathomable.

Nat says for the girl to stay in the car. She leaves the car running, the radio still playing in the background. She enters the shop with a ding. She looks over at the counter, in the absence of a cashier, she sighs. Another victim. She grabs all types of milk and the cereal and tosses a $10 bill on the counter.

She opens the back door and throws the cereal in the car before she climbs back into the drivers seat. As they make their way back to the compound Ava asks the question Natasha hoped she wouldn't.