18) Talks and Temporaries

Telephones- VACATION

"Do you think its possible that some people are born to give more love than they will ever get back in return?"

-Tyler Knott Gregson

*****

I slowly walk up to my front door, my hand inching closer to the door knob. The door creaks open when my hand leaves the knob. I step into my living room and survey the room, my eyes immediately landing on my Mom sitting on the couch.

"Mom?" I speak in disbelief, even though I already knew she was here from her car outside.

Her head turns at the sound of my voice, "Oh Autumn sweetie you're home."

"Hi Mom," I stand stiffly. I don't rush over to hug her or break out into tears or a smile.

I don't know how to react.

"Why are you still standing?" She pats the empty spot next to her. I close the door behind me, and walk over to her to sit down.

"Mom where were you?" I called her plenty of times, but she never answered. I even checked her location, but it was turned off.

"That's what I was going to talk to you about, but first your father. You said he was in the hospital, correct?"

She doesn't look worried, or uncomfortable.

"Yes, he's in the hospital um..." It's better to rip the band aid off quickly right? "Mom, Dad's in the hospital with alcohol poisoning," I clear my throat.

Her eyes widen for only a split second, "So that bastard finally got what was coming for him," She spits out with not an ounce of remorse.

My mouth goes ajar at her statement, "No Mom."

"He's in the hospital, but he is going to get better," I explain better.

"He's in their rehab program," I add in.

"Rehab program huh? Naivety is a bad thing to have Autumn," She just looks at me, and shakes her head. I know they didn't love each other, but I thought she'd care a little more than this.

"I wanted to talk to you about something sweetie," Her expression turns more serious.

Maybe she's in shock or something, and she's just processing what I said. I won't push her then, "What is it?"

"I met someone while I was away," She states almost bluntly, but with excitement.

"You- you what?"

"I met someone. A special someone who makes me very happy, I've actually been seeing them for a while now." She elaborates.

I ask the million dollar question that been on my mind for years, "Mom...are you and Dad going to get a divorce?"

She sighs, and looks away for me for a moment, before cupping my face, "Autumn, you know we love you very much." You're actually more of the emotional neglectful type, but I won't get into that with you right now.

"Your father and I did love each other very much at one point, but people change, feelings along with them."

Why is she treating me like some toddler who can't handle the truth?

I cover her hands with mine, and slowly take them off of my face. "Mom, let's please just cut the theatrics. Are you getting a divorce and leaving me with Dad," I ask flat out.

She's usually never gone for that long, so that means this special person she really didn't want to leave.

In all honesty, my parents should've parted ways a long time ago.