6🐎

In the middle of the night, they moved Vanessa upstairs to a room and Ayla told me to go on home and rest that she would be ok

I finally laid down in my bed around 3 am and slept a few hours. I had no jobs today so I went for breakfast and asked Clara if I could have some to take with me.

She put two bacon biscuits and hash rounds in a bag with two orange juices and I headed out the door.

Poppy was walking in as I was walking out. "Where are you going?"

"I have a friend in the hospital. Got to go bye Poppy."

I got in my jeep and headed to the hospital. Once in the hospital, I got on the elevator and headed upstairs to the room number that she gave me.

When I walked into the room Ayla was curled up in a chair asleep. I really didn't want to wake her but when I sit the bag down she opened her eyes.

"Hart, what are you doing here?" She asked.

"I brought you breakfast. I didn't cook it so don't worry." I said handing it to her.

"Who cooked it then because it looks good." She smiled.

"I uhh live on a Ranch and before I was born a lady and her husband live with us taking care of everything and well Clara is a magnificent cook," I said.

"A Ranch? Fancy I've never had anyone cook for me." She smiled.

"Well she makes three meals a day believe it or not and all of my family lives on the Ranch and most days all of us spend all meals together," I said.

"Wow, that's awesome. Do you have a lot of siblings?" She asked.

"Just a sister but she's married and has two children and just announced she's pregnant again. But all of my dad's brothers live on the Ranch he has three and then my mom's brother is married to my dad's sister and they live there. Plus I have two cousins who live there as well." I said.

"Wait you all live in the same house?" She asked.

"No we all live in different houses on the Ranch besides my parents and my dad's parents who live in the main house. What about you any siblings?" I ask.

"Just a brother and he's in the army. That's why we are here he was stationed here and recently had to go overseas." She said.

"That sucks I'm sorry to hear that. Does he know that your mom is in here?" I asked.

"Yeah, I texted him last night. I really appreciate all you did for me, Hart. My boss said the diner never looked so good." She laughed.

A nurse walked in and checked Vanessa's vitals and then walked back out.

"Well, she wasn't very nice," I said.

"None of them are and I'm not getting any questions answered." She said.

"Let me go see what I can do and I'll be right back," I said standing up.

"Oh, Hart you don't have to do that." She said.

I walked out to the nurse's desk. The nurse looked up and smiled. "Can I help you?"

"Yeah you just walked in and out of Ms. Fox's room and you didn't say anything. How is she?"

"And how are you related?" She asked.

"It shouldn't matter how I'm related why is that woman not treated with respect?" I asked.

"If you're not related I can't tell you anything." She shrugged.

"That's my fiancée in there and so I think I deserve to know," I said.

"Well, Ms. Fox's condition has not changed and so there is nothing to tell."

"So you were just bullshitting me then?" I asked getting mad.

She smirked and looked down shuffling paperwork.

"I know you think your cute and you have no idea who I am but my father is on the board at this hospital," I said.

Her eyes got wide. Mr. Maverick is your father?" She swallowed hard.

"He is and I suggest you change your attitude before I report you. Anything Ayla wants for her mother you do it." I said before walking away.

I have never thrown the Maverick name around but clearly, Ayla doesn't have money and prob no insurance to even cover her mom's bill.

I walked back into the room and she was brushing her mom's hair and talking to her.

"They said no change but if anyone else is mean to you please let me know," I said.

"That's nice of you Hart and when momma wakes up she will want to thank you herself." She smiled.

"It will be a pleasure to meet your mom Ayla." I smiled sitting down.

I stayed with her during lunch and then I went home at dinner time and gathered up food and brought it back to spend with Ayla and make sure she ate.

"Back so soon?" She smiled.

"I brought you dinner. Clara made broccoli chicken Alfredo with garlic bread." I said holding up the bag.

"That sounds delicious." She smiled.

"Any change?" I asked.

"No nothing. But the nurses have been nicer to me for some reason. Thanks for whatever you did say."

"It's no problem." I smiled over at her scooping out the food on two disposable plates.

"Oh my god, this is so good." She said rolling her eyes.

"Clara tends to spoil all of us. I have to run around the Ranch every morning otherwise I would be huge." I laughed.

"I could see how but you don't look like you have any fat on you, Hart." She smiled.

"No, I don't because I run five laps every morning before I check on the horses," I said.

"Horses? Oh, I love horses." She said.

A nurse walked in and when she saw me she smiled. "Umm, I come to check on Ms. Fox."

I sit back and cross my arms and don't say anything while she checks the vitals.

"Everything looks good!" She said before leaving.

I looked over at Ayla and she rolled her eyes. "That's all they ever say about mom."

"I'll fix that," I said smiling back at her.