Chapter 15

Marcus just got home. He immediately noticed the absence of Khae's car. Is she not home yet? It's already nine o'clock. He looked at his watch.

Marcus gifted Khae a car last year on her 18th birthday. He tries to give Khae what she needs and what she wants. Even the things that she never asked for. He gives her literally, everything. Except his time. Which he isn't proud of.

He got out of his car and took out his phone. He was about to call her when he noticed Khae just reached home.

Khae saw her dad standing at the garage. He is waiting for me, Khae thought.

"Hi, dad."  Khae greeted Marcus.

"I got here first. Where have you been? You know the rules, Mikhaela." Marcus said in authoritative voice.

"I informed you." Khae said.

"What?" Marcus checked his messages.  Dad, I will be home late. Khae was right. She texted him.

"I was with Aiah and her cousin, Gwen."

"Aiah? Gwen? New friends?"

Marcus knows only Lindtsey, Yves, and Francheska.

"Aiah is my girlfriend, dad." Khae bravely told Marcus. It's now or never!

"Your what?" Marcus thought he just  misheard it.

"My girlfriend."  Khae repeated and looked at her dad.

"Mikhaela!" Marcus gasped. He was shocked.

"I have a girlfriend, dad. Her name is Aiah. I love her. And if you disapprove, I am sorry but—"

"Wait, wait —" Marcus raised his finger signalling Khae to stop. He massaged his nape.

"Let's get inside and talk about this, Mikhaela", Marcus said and went inside the house. Khae followed him.

Khae threw herself on the bed. She just had a heart-to-heart talk with her dad. Khae feels like weight was lifted off her chest.

She clasped her hands together on her stomach while staring at the ceiling. She recalled the conversation she had with Marcus earlier.

"Tell me—" Marcus loosened his tie. He was sitting face to face with his daughter.

"I said I have a girlfriend..."

"Since when?"

"Just recently"

"Is this your way of getting back at me, Mikhaela? I know you don't want me to have a girlfriend. And —"

"It's nothing like that, dad. Your relationship with Marla has nothing to do with this.
And besides, I had a girlfriend few years ago."

"You had what?!" Marcus felt like his head was going to explode.

"If only you paid attention to me the past few years you wouldn't be that surprised anymore"

"For God's sake, Mikhaela! Don't use that card against me again. We already talked about it. I thought you've forgiven me." Marcus raised his voice.

Khae kept quiet. She did not want to argue with him. All she wanted was to let  him know about Aiah. 

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't have raised my voice",  said Marcus in a calm voice. He looked at Khae who's about to cry.

"I'm sorry if I turned out to be someone you never expected me to be... Sorry if—" Tears started to roll down her cheek.

"Mikhaela-" Marcus stood up and went to hug his daughter.

"Shhh, baby, don't cry... And don't apologize for being yourself. I love you for who and what you are because you are my daughter."

"'Thought you were mad." Khae said, still sobbing.

Marcus kissed Khae on the head. "I am not mad, okay? I was just surprised; shocked. That's all."

"You're not gonna ask me to break up with her?"

"Of course not."

"But I did ask you to leave Marla before", Khae remembers telling Marcus to leave Marla or she'll leave. That was before she met Aiah.

"Hmm. I understand why you said that. And I know you just said it because you're hurt."

"I'm sorry, I was being selfish and immature." Khae apologized.

"We've talked about it, right? I didn't do a good job being your father since your mom died. And I am not proud of that. But I promised you, I'll make it up to you. I'm still keeping that promise."

"And why would I ask you to break up with her? I'm aware of how you became happier the past few weeks. And I guess, that's because of her. What's her name? Aiah?"

"Yeah. She makes me happy..."

"I want to meet her."

"Hmm, what about a group date with Marla?"

Marcus didn't expect to hear what Khae just told him.

"Are you sure?"

"Yup, I want to meet her too."

"Okay, let's set a date."

Marcus sighed. Although sometimes he tries to be tough on his daughter, in the end, Khae wins. He loves his daughter so much. And he does not want to widen more the gap between them that he himself created.

"Thank you, daddy."