Chapter 8

Everybody can't help but notice how Khae has changed the past few weeks.

"I'm surprised you smiled back at me." Christine bluntly told Khae.

They met at the hallway. Christine and Khae share the same building. Christine is taking up Journalism. Usually, Christine greets and smiles at Khae but the latter is always cold and distant.

"Hey, Christine." Khae smiled.

"What happened to the poker face?" Christine teased.

"Ha-ha, 'grew tired of it." Khae chuckled.

"Glad, you've come out of your shell, Khae", said Christine. She's genuinely happy for Khae.

"Well, people change." Khae answered.

"I wonder when will be Lindtsey's turn. 'Can't wait for the day that she'll have a change of heart..." Christine said.

"What do you mean?" Khae asked.

"Lindtsey hates me, Khae." Christine said in a sad tone.

"I don't think she does. Why would you say that?"

"Because until now she can't forgive me."

"Huh? What are you saying? I don't get it." Khae is baffled.

"She still thinks I betrayed her." Christine continued talking.

"Wait, hold on, enlighten me. Are you two actually close?" Khae is confused.

"We were", said Christine.

"Lindtsey never mentioned anything." And I never saw you together, like ever. I've been friends with her since high school." Khae looked confused.

"It's a long story." Christine said and took a deep breath.

"Tell me." Khae said in a curious tone.

"I've known Lindts since seventh grade. She was my bestfriend." 

"She never mentioned that to us." said Khae.

"Well, maybe because she doesn't want you to know about it."

"About what?"

"About our story" 

"What story?"

Christine started telling everything to Khae. 

Khae lost count of the number of times she changed her facial expressions while listening to Christine.

Meanwhile at the school's gym...

Nica Vergara, a student leader, excels in dance and a member of the school's choir is currently waiting for her friends' reply. She sent them a message asking who is free at that time so she can meet them.

"Hi..."

Nica raised her head when she heard somebody speak. She was surprised to see Francheska.

"H-hi..."

"Where are your friends?" Nica and Francheska asked the same thing at the same time.

"I don't know." And again, both answered each other at the same time. They both laughed.

"Hmm, so...?" Nica said, she was waiting for Francheska to say something. She couldn't ask her directly why she approached her.

"Ahh, I saw you were alone so I came to say hi. I-I was looking for my friends. 'Thought I'd find them here..." said Francheska. She feels awkward making up an alibi. Liar! Why don't you tell her the truth? You're stalking her! 

And I'm not lying—" Francheska stopped. Why did I say that?

"Ah, I see. And I don't think you are—" Why would you say that, though?"

"Ahh, nothing." Francheska wants to scream. She feels embarrassed. Her brain sometimes just doesn't cooperate with her. If only I could squeeze it! But then she cringed at the thought.

Nica thinks Francheska is acting weird. But that doesn't change the fact the she's cute—Nica thought.

"Well, I didn't see any of your friends around here." Nica said, but at the back of her mind she doubted if Francheska was telling the truth. Why would her friends go to the gym? It's unlikely for them, Nica thought, but she remained silent about it. She did not want Francheska to feel more uncomfortable and awkward.