Chapter 44

Marcus glanced at his phone. He just sent a message to Khae. He is hoping she will reply. He is now on his way home.

Meanwhile...

"I thought you'd be gone for long." said Aiah.

"Is that what you want, Maraiah? Don't you miss me?" There's sullenness in his voice.

"Truth be told, I still haven't moved on from that day when you ruined our friendship."

"Oh God, please Maraiah, is ten months being gone still not enough? I went to the States just so you could forget what I said and I was in hopes that you could forgive me... I did not bother you at all, did I? Eventhough there wasn't a day I didn't think of you, I never called. I gave you what you wanted. Please, don't hate me..."

"Chico, I don't hate you. I hate the fact that our friendship was tested that way."

"I'm sorry I had to do that."

"What do you mean?"

"All my life, I have done nothing but love you, take care of you, protect you. I was so happy when Dad and Tito Dean brought you home so I could have a playmate. I was seven and you were five. That's when I started loving you. Since then, I've always been looking for you. I always wanted to see you. I was longing for a baby sister, you can ask Mom about that. That's what you were to me since the beginning, and of course, until now. My baby sister..."

"Now I am baffled. If that's how you see me ever since, why did you have to tell me you love me more than that?"

"Tell me, boo, was there any moment where you felt like I am in love with you? I mean, have you ever felt any awkwardness between us?" Chico is looking at her intently.

Aiah couldn't think of any. Chico is right. He has given her pure brotherly love. Maybe that's the reason also why she does not hate him. He never made her feel she was more than a sister or best friend to him.

"Tell me about that friggin' confession."

"Sorry, I was pressured. Dad and Tito Dean have always been very vocal about them wanting us to be a couple someday."

"What?!"

"I know this is surprising for you. They never talked about it whenever you're around. But believe me, they've been matchmaking since you were thirteen. But I never told you that, because I know you wouldn't like it as much as I don't. I know what we have. Our relationship is something special and I will never ever ruin that."

"What did they tell you? Tell me more."

"Dad told me, he would like you to be my wife someday and Tito Dean already agreed. Actually, they made a pact. That was exactly what he told me."

"Gosh!" Aiah was stunned by the revelation.

"Disgusting, right?"

"You need to go back to LA! ASAP!"

"Hey! I just came back. And you haven't even gave me a proper welcoming yet you want me to leave again. That's very nice of you." Chico pouted his lips.