CHAPTER 38:

"Birds of prey? What does that mean?"

"I'll explain on the way…let's get our horses and saddle up" Imogen said nicely.

We went to the royal stables and saw all the beautiful horses they had.

The horses we rode when coming into this city were there as well and fed properly.

After picking out our horses, we casually rode them into the town.

"so…what are the birds of prey?" I asked again after riding for 20 minutes in silence.

"well as you know, our kingdom is filled with different types of people with different conditions. The Birds of Prey are our eyes in the sky and an elite unit of fighters-"

"but how did they get their wings?"

"well some of them were cursed others were experimented on"

"by who or what?"

"witches" Imogen answered.

"I thought there was no such thing as witches or magic" I looked down.

All my life, I had never witnessed anything magic related so I never believed such even existed.

"well they''re real and really bad. Like look at Alya she wasn't born with wings but cursed. She was all alone and hunted down…that's when we found her. It wasn't the first time and it certainly won't be the last" Imogen explained.

"so people that get cursed get wings?" Sam asked rolling his eyes.

"you'll see soon enough how bad curses can be" Jackie said, irritated as usual and Sam's confidence went away.

"but couldn't the curse be undone?"

"it's not easy to undo a curse especially if you're not the one that placed it"

"they can cure it temporarily but not 100%"

I began to feel bad for them.

Their lives had been changed forever and who knows how it could affect their children.

Why was the world so full of hate?

It didn't take too long before we were in town and the commoners greeted the royal family.

I saw different kinds of people that left me in shock.

There were people who had the ears of foxes and cats or antlers like a deer, some had tails, others had fangs; some had a different lower body all together.

And they were living happily amongst those who I considered normal.

"now you see why we have to protect our city and keep it hidden from the world. These people had nowhere to go and were exiled. Fortunately, they were close to our boarders and we took them in"

"do they only have to come through Redlake?" Eri asked.

"not exactly; there are hidden passage ways in the other dark kingdoms as well; the same way we found you. Scouts are placed there to monitor and see whoever that poses a threat to our lands" Jackie explained without looking at any of us.

"here everyone is happy and we use our differences to aid each other and not to make jest. We have created the perfect world where almost anyone is free to come. There are parts of our kingdom that are meant to host other creatures who don't feel brave enough to walk amongst those who aren't their kind"

"here everyone is happy" Imogen smiled while we kept on riding.

They really have created the perfect world.