CHAPTER 48:

WARNING: Following chapter contains animal cruelty…kinda.
Sam's POV:

We were still in the woods…training.

Though The Jackal said we've been improving but it wasn't good enough to survive.

Today we went hunting like every other day but she killed the meat most of the time.

Throughout my time in the woods, we hadn't encountered any animal particularly dangerous but even if we did, The Jackal "assisted" us in bringing it down.

But maybe the reason for that was because we weren't that deep into the forest and that's going to change today.

The Jackal suggested that we go deeper and deeper into the forest for our first kill without her help.

I hoped we would come across a deer or a bunny; anything that's not too horrifying.

Unfortunately, all the forces of nature hate me.

We felt the earth vibrate beneath us as something moved most likely towards us.

Though it was the middle of the day, it was a bit difficult to see because of how thick the trees were.

"get ready; whatever comes, I won't do anything to help you; just hope it's not something that even I can't handle"

She moved aside and climbed the nearest tree to watch.

Something told me that even if we were about to die, she wouldn't do anything to help.

Me and Jaja got our bows and arrows ready with our swords hanging on our waists in case we'll need it.

The vibration in the ground became stronger as the thing got closer.

There was a loud growl that made the trees shake.

Beads of sweat began rolling off my face as I awaited my prey in fear.

The thing was getting closer and I didn't know what to expect but it was only a bunny that emerged from the bushes.

"seriously?" Jaja rolled his eyes.

"guess we have it easy today" I smiled and put my bow and arrow away.

Before we could do anything we heard a loud roar and a creature came out of nowhere and devoured the rabbit.

It was the largest thing I had ever seen.

It was a boar but incredibly huge with red eyes and huge tusks; it's teeth were so long that some popped out of its mouth.

"are we seriously meant to slay this thing?" Jaja's voice was shaky.

"good luck" she smiled high up in the trees.

We stared at the boar with horror thinking of how and if we could kill it.

"the only option we have is to take away its sight; Jaja aim for the eyes" I drew my arrows and aimed for its big red eyes.

The boar charged towards us throwing our aim off and we turned around and began running.

"split up and try to get it from behind" I told Jaja and he did as he was told.

Fortunately, the boar was after me and I don't know how long I could keep running.

My feet felt like they would give out at any moment and I only stopped to face the beast when I heard a howl of pain.

Jaja had stabbed its left eye and thrown it off balance slightly.

"go for the other eye!" I yelled but the beast began bucking wildly and hitting its head on the trees.

The Jackal had managed to escape a few but as she was about to land on another tree, one of the ones that fell knocked her over and she was on the ground.

That was the first time I had seen her so helpless and I rushed to her aid since she was a bit disoriented.

The boar was charging at her with full force and I use all my strength to get her out of the way before it crushed her.

"MOVE!" I screamed, pushing her out of the way and handing atop her.

The rumbling stopped and the beast howled again; Jaja must have taken out the second eye.

The Jackal moved beneath me.

"I'm so sorry for that-" I froze looking into her eyes.

Even if she was blind and there was nothing in them, they were still beautiful.

I could see a dark sky with a beautiful moon as the center of attention and stars shining beside it.

I could see a soul longing for freedom.

"not to bother you two or anything but we still have a boar to kill" Jaja cleared his throat and The Jackal pushed me off immediately.

"you're not through with your test, now focus!" she stood up and I did the same, facing my target.

It was still running around without any sense of direction and hitting its head on trees every now and then.

Nodding at Jaja, we took charge and used our swords to wound its legs, crippling it before I came from above and used my blade to cut open its throat.

"piece of cake" I panted and sat on the ground, catching my breath.

"Jaja that was amazing I'm so proud of you! Nice work" the Jackal gave him a huge hug and the laughed together.

"what about me?" it was a team effort and I was even bait.

The smile on her face was completely wiped off without a trace.

"not bad…for fresh meat" she said; irritated as usual and I couldn't help but scoff.

What was her problem?...

COMMENT, FOLLOW AND VOTE
XOXO…