[M] Someone Worthy

JB's POV

Growing up, I never wanted to be the first of anything. And maybe that was the reason why everything that happened to me, happened.

My father never gave me any real attention because I don't share the same interests as him. I don't want to inherit our family's vast number of businesses and wealth. I guess I am just not interested in the hassle of running a business.

There's also an unspoken rivalry between the brothers, but it's also clear that my father was not grandfather's favorite. If anything, he was treated as the black sheep because he always brings trouble to our family.

Maybe that's what I inherited from him.

I am even okay with being a paramour to any woman who wants to have a relationship with me. I am okay if I was not the first that our family considered to be in line after Dahyun to be the successor of our businesses. I am okay even if I am not anyone's favorite. I believed that wanting to be someone else, or having someone's position is a waste of who I am. I wanted to be my own person. I experimented with a lot of things, but I was never fully satisfied.

When Dahyun's mom died, I thought that my uncle would be devastated, but instead, it looked like he pushed himself to work harder. For what reason, I'm not sure.

And then Dahyun was suddenly convinced that my father was the one behind the death of my aunt-in-law. That time, I wanted to be angry with my cousin, but a part of me knows that there's also a possibility that it is true. So I confronted my father, after Dahyun was thrown out of Korea. But he denied all the accusations. He was adamant that he has nothing to do with it. So I tried to forget about it, and tried to remove it from my thoughts.

So when my father suddenly disappeared from the face of the earth, I was suddenly at a loss for words. He did not leave any note, or he did not even contact us. Not ever. I was left wondering if this has anything to do with my aunt-in-law's death. Or he just doesn't want to see me anymore.

How am I supposed to suddenly fend for myself? Is this what Dahyun felt when her mom died?

Those were the words playing over and over inside my head. There were no traces of him. He was finally turning over a new leaf, and suddenly, he was gone. Poof. I'm pretty sure that I just lost my father.

My mom was devastated, but my uncle took me under his wing. For a while, I was being dragged around to the parties, since Dahyun was not available. And I'm not sure what to feel about that. I can't deny that I somehow liked all the attention, but I know for a fact that it will all be taken away from me too, so I tried my best not to become accustomed to it.

And I was right, as soon as Dahyun came back home, it was announced that she would be taking my future wife and making it hers. Dahyun did not even ask where my father was. She was just not interested in him, so it was too late for her to realize that my father's been missing. I want to resent her more, but it makes total sense for her to block any memories of my father. After all, I think she still believes that my dad's the one who killed her mom.

I know that she does not have anything to do with stealing my future, but it was hard not to feel jealous when I'm always with her. My eyes were always drifting to Momo, pining from afar. And after a few months of it, Dahyun started to see what I saw. Momo is brilliant, and Dahyun was just discovering that, but I already knew it. She is beautiful and strong-willed and so at ease in our world, even though it was somehow cruel to her too. With every new thing that Dahyun learned about her, their love grew more and more stronger.

And Momo became more and more desirable for me.

But I never spoke to her, I couldn't do that to Dahyun. I even asked my father not to mention anything about our supposed engagement.