Prolouge

<It's raining knives, like all the time
But I'm alive
Irayo Eywa
We're alive>

~K. Capri~

I walked out the court room, holding the piece of paper that had both my old and new name on it.

I stared at it, soaking in the fact that I'm no longer the woman I was yesterday, or the girl I was two years ago.

The first step was over, I changed my name. I'm longer associated with the situation anymore.

"Kenya" I said aloud, testing the name out. I kept my last name, I've always like it.

But Kenya came from my great aunt. My favorite relative.

She was the only person I felt truly loved me. She was with me every step of the way when we went to court.

She cried with me when we heard the guilty verdict. She thanked the lord that justice was served.

And then she died.

The only family who loved me died.

Daddy was upset...Mama was unimpressed.

They hated my guts ever since I told on him. Daddy says I made him miss out on millions of dollars.

I never understood why he was mad about that, hell- he already had millions.

Just greedy. Greedy man, who stuck around fucked up people. And expected me to keep quiet.

I still try to talk to my parents. I hate that I love them. They've treated me like shit since forever and yet- I still want a relationship with them.

I thought they would be sad the day I left (on my 18th birthday), but they weren't.

It's been 3 months and they still couldn't give a damn.

But it does hurt that I'll have to spend the holidays alone, in a whole new state.

I grew up in Georgia but moved to New York- I figured changing my name and moving far away would help me to forget what happened.

It was getting recognized everywhere I went back in my hometown. I hated it.

It also didn't help that my father was so well known...them wealthy businessmen hearing I told on a man just like them spooked them.

Spooked them right into cutting ties with my dad.

Another reason why he was mad, most likely.

But...whatever. I came here for a new life, and that what's gonna happen...I'm gonna be successful and I'm gonna have a happy life.

I trust I will...I know I will.

_____________________

Sorry for mistakes ❤️

Kenya Capri