Chapter Forty Nine

The snow had just begun to set at the end of January when our relatively quiet lives became a mess again. Trouble arose when the Cullens relatives visited them and the met Renesmee. Apparently now, the vampire 'royalty' were coming from Volterra to investigate and they did not have the same diet as the Cullens so Sam was freaking out again.

'The Cullens told me that Renesmee has been mistaken for an immortal child which is illegal and they're gathering witnesses to go against the 'royalty' coven.' Jacob told the pack, 'Unfortunately they're not all like the Cullens but they've asked them not to hunt in the area. They should be here in about a week. The Cullens have asked us to stand with them.'

'A fight against a load of vampires like that isn't going to be easy like the newborns we fought' Jared replied.

'The Cullens are hoping it won't come to a fight. They're hoping to gather enough witnesses to prove Renesmee is not a vampire baby.' Jake said.

'Anyone who sees her can see she's not a vampire. She doesn't drink blood or have the eyes for a start. She just grows weirdly fast.' I inputted.

'Tell the Cullens we'll be there and we'll fight with them. We'll help protect the baby' Sam told Jake.

Jake headed off to the Cullens again and Sam sent the pack to the woods to practice fighting. Paul stayed back to go to the rez with me as a witness for when I signed the lease for my office, I had decided to take the plunge and sign up for the office Leah and I had seen a few weeks ago.

The real estate agent had everything waiting for us when we arrived and after reading through the contract, I signed it and received the keys. I was so excited!

'Congrats Kitty, you did it!' Paul celebrated.

'Thanks. But I still need to get some business going first. Seth, Colin, and Brady are not enough to keep me going but they're a good start. I need to ask their parents to be references for me.' I said thoughtfully.

'Kitty, breathe. All of that can be done later. Celebrate the fact that you have our own office and can start your business' Paul told me with a smile on his face as we drove home.

'I do, don't I' I chuckled, 'Now you just need to graduate and then everything will be hunky dory'

'Don't worry Kitty. If we survive this vampire thing I'll graduate soon after. I've been studying and doing coursework' he confessed.

'What?! When?' I asked in disbelief.

'At night when you're asleep, when you're out, in between patrol, whenever I can really. I didn't mean to keep it from you Kitty, I kind of just forgot to tell you with everything going on' he apologised.

'It's okay baby, I'm proud of you for trying so hard. I know it's not easy at the moment with all the drama that's going on.'

'Speaking of drama, it can't be good to see Sam sat outside our house' Paul said as we pulled up.

We walked over to Sam who looked pissed off at the world. Again.

'Paul, go join the pack, I need to talk to Katie'

Paul looked at me concerned but I nodded slightly so he gave me a quick kiss and ran to join the pack. I let Sam in the house and we sat in the living room. I waited for him to start talking.

'I got a call from our dad today Katie' he finally told me.

'Seriously? What the hell did he want?'

'Apologised for leaving us and mom. Asked how we were doing but I didn't tell him anything. He asked us to go and visit him in Chicago but I refused' Sam shrugged, watching for my reaction.

'I barely even remember him Sam. Him calling us now is so random'

'I thought that too but then he said he had to tell me the reason why he left as it had been eating away at him'

'Sam, out with it already!'

'He left because he cheated on mom and got the woman pregnant. The woman was Ms Call. Embrys mom.'

'Embry is our half brother? Fuck'

Sam let me process the news for a few moments before he continued.

'I haven't told Embry yet as I wanted to talk to you first and obviously the whole pack will know soon after. What are you feeling right now Katie?'

'I'm thinking Embry is going to love knowing he now has a family and knows where his link to the pack is from'

'I was asking about you Katie, not Embry.'

'I guess I'm a bit weirded out Sammy. Like a new brother is a big deal. Does mom know?'

'I didn't ask but I assume so. Mom and dad argued a lot before he left'

'I guess I don't really remember that' I confessed, 'When are we going to tell Embry?'

'After training. He's due back soon.'

We hung out waiting for the pack to return. I called out to Embry when I saw him and beckoned him over to Sam and I. The pack headed inside whilst we waited to be alone to tell Embry our news. He took it quite well, I expected some wolf shaking but he was very calm.

'Are you okay?' I asked him.

'Yeah. I think so. I think I should go and talk to my mom though.'

He walked off so Sam called Jacob and Quil to follow him to make sure he was okay and didn't attack his mom in rage. That wouldn't be good.

Sam and I told the pack, they would find out the next time they all phased anyway. I think most of them suspected our dad was Embrys dad as well as none of them looked shocked by the news.