Chapter Sixteen

The next few days at school passed pretty quickly with barely anything happening - apart from a few hours spent cliff diving after school - and soon it was Friday. No more school! I was free, well, ish.

Paul had decided that tonight we were going on our first official date so Kim had come over to help me get ready as she claimed I wasn't capable of it myself.

My hair was curled slightly, my make up had a smoky look to it, and I was dressed in a cute white and black dress with my black doc martin boots. I gave Kim a twirl of approval and then we both headed downstairs to where the boys were all hanging out together. Sam was letting them have a night off from patrol since the red headed bloodsucker hadn't shown her face in a while. He and Embry were going to head out in a little while just to check the borders.

I was greeted by a cat call whistle when we walked in the living room.

'Anyone whistles again and I will sew their lips shut' I threatened.

'Would it kill you to be nice occasionally Katie?' Sam asked.

'Yes it would'

'You look beautiful Kitty Kat, ready to go?' Paul asked.

'Thanks babe, yeah lets go'

'Hold on,' Sam stopped us from leaving, 'Your curfew is 11 Katie, no funny business Paul. I know you. Any problems then just call me'

'Okay Sam, I'll see you in a few hours'

I waved to them as Paul and I headed out to the car. Paul was driving - what a gentleman!

'I'm afraid we're not going anywhere fancy Kitty Kat, the rez only has one restaurant. Sam won't let me take you in to the city with what's going on at the minute' Paul told me.

'It's cool, I don't mind where we go as long as I get fed'

'Why does that not surprise me?!' he laughed.

'I like food. Sue me'

'I like that you eat Kitty Kat. Too many girls are bothered about guys seeing them stuff their faces. I like that you don't care'

'You missed a meal at boarding school - you didn't eat for the rest of the day and that kind of hunger isn't fun!' I told him.

'It doesn't sound it. Come on, we're here'

We had arrived at a red bricked restaurant in the main part of the rez which looked quite busy but Paul assured me that we would get a table so I assumed he had called ahead and booked or something. I was quite happy that he had put some thought into our date. I held his hand tightly as we walked through the door.

'Welcome to Black Dawn, is it a table for two?' the server asked.

'I called and booked one. It's under Paul Lahote' Paul told her.

'Yes, it's here. I'll take you to your table'

We were led through the restaurant until we reached a two person table. She handed us menus as we sat down.

'Thank you'

'Thanks'

'No problem guys. I will send your waitress over to take your drinks order soon'

I began to look through the menu and I was happy to see a wide variety of food on offer. So many choices!

'Anything catch your eye Kitty Kat?'

'I'm leaning towards the spaghetti bolognaise' I confessed. 

'It's pretty good from here'

'Hello, I'm Jessica and I'll be your waitress tonight. Can I take your drinks order?' a blonde girl asked us.

I was surprised to see that she was blonde and pale as most of us on the rez have darker features. Unless she came from Forks. I quickly looked away when I realised I was staring at her a little.

'Diet coke please' I asked her.

'I'll have a still water thanks' Paul added.

'Okay, are you guys ready to order your food or do you need some more time?'

'You know what you want Kitty Kat?'

'Yeah'

'I'll have the steak and chips please' Paul ordered.

'Certainly. And you?'

'Spaghetti bolognaise please'

'Alright, I'll bring your drinks over soon'

The night was amazing, the food was delicious - not as good as Emily's, but close - and Paul was a total gentleman. I loved being able to spend time with him away from the pack. After a small argument over who was paying (Paul won), we headed out and Paul decided we were going for a walk along the beach. We parked the car closer to the beach, kicked off our shoes, and then went down to the sandy beach.

'What's with the walk?' I asked him curiously.

'We have plenty of time left until your curfew and I didn't want to waste any time I get with you' he explained.

'I like how you think' I laughed.

'Plus I heard that walks on the beach are supposed to be super romantic' he confessed.

'Yeah, who told you that then?'

'Um, people. Yeah, people'

'How convincing!' I laughed, turning slightly so I was now facing Paul and walking backwards carefully.

He grabbed hold of my waist to keep me steady as I carried on walking backwards.

'Can you stop walking for a moment Kitty Kat?' he asked me.

'Why?' I stopped.

'So I can do this'

He leant in and kissed me softly. He pulled away for a moment but I pulled him back and kissed him harder and deeper. This was the kind of kiss I was waiting for - one that was full of longing. I needed to be kissed like this, needed to feel like I was wanted. And Paul made me feel that way.

'Come on' he whispered, and led me back to his car.