Chapter Fifty One

Kim, Willow, and I were waiting for the pack to return from their latest training session. We were all a bunch of nerves and stress as the snow started to fall, it was only going to be a short time frame before the vampires came.

"Katie can you help me with my homework?" Willow asked.

"You're doing homework?" Kim asked her in disbelief.

"I need a distraction but this algebra is kicking my ass so I need Katie to help. I can't do algebra" she groaned.

"You can Willow, you're just distracted. Come on, lets walk through it"

I went and sat next to Willow and we went through her work as we waited for the pack. We heard their howls through the woods before we had chance to finish the work but headed out to meet them. 

"Pack meeting" Sam called as they phased back to human so we headed to his house where Emily was also waiting.

Paul pulled me close to him as we piled in to the living room and waited for Sam's speech. The entire pack looked exhausted and I could tell by Sam's face his news was not going to be good. 

"Sammy, your face looks really annoyed so why don't you tell us why you called his meeting so we can be annoyed together" 

"The vamps think the threat is imminent and want us to camp out with them so we're fully prepared"

"Wait, camp out as in not come home until it's all over?" Kim asked, "how long will that be for?"

"Hopefully no longer than a week" 

"A week? Sammy come on, that's ridiculous! The pack can't be expected to sit out in the cold and snow for a week in wolf for and what about food?"

"We're not going to be in wolf form the whole to me and we can take food with us" he explained "Katie, I know this sucks but we're doing this and I need your help with the food"

"Fine" I rolled my eyes and headed home with Paul in tow to make food as instructed.

"Kitty, will you please talk to me?" Paul asked as he watched me in the kitchen.

"About what Paul? The fact that I'm not going to see you for a week, maybe longer. Or that I'm being left behind here unable to do anything and not know if or when you're coming back"

"I know Kitty, I know. I don't like it either but Sam insisted so we have to"

"I hate everything about this" I yelled.

"Hey, sshhhh, I know Kitty but it's going to be fine" he reassured me, pulling me in to his arms.

"None of this is fine Paul"

"You're right, it's not, but you can do this Kitty and we're going to need your help with Kim and Willow. They need a support system whilst we're all gone and Emily sucks ass in this department now so we need you to help out Kitty. Please."

"I'll help Paul. I don't like it but I'll help" I promised as I packed up meals, snacks, and drinks for the pack. Hopefully the food would last until they were able to come home.

We said our goodbyes outside to the pack and made sure they all had food and a couple of blankets before they headed out. Willow started to cry softly once they were out of our eyeline so I pulled her in for a hug. Emily tutted at us and returned to her house as I led Kim and Willow to mine.

"I'll ring your mum Willow, let her know you're staying here. Kim, tell your mum the same. You can both stay here with me until the pack are back."

"I don't know if my mom will like me staying here" Kim said softly "she will think I'm here with Jared"

"So I'll speak to her and let her know the guys have gone camping and I need company. It's not far from the truth and she can even come over and see that it's just us if she's still suspicious of it all" I shrugged.

"I can't wait to escape. You are both so lucky your families understand" Kim sighed.

"My grandfather gets it but I don't think my mom does"

"Your mom knows Willow. Old Quil told me she knows but doesn't want you or Quil on to know she knows yet" I explained.

"She knows?"

"She lives with two generations of wolves, of course she knows."

Willow chuckled softly as I called Mrs Ateara who was fine with Willow staying with me as long as she promised to check in occasionally. Kim's mom took a little more convincing - Kim was right in that her mom thought she was staying with Jared but the promise of her being allowed to drop in and see us whenever she wanted to prove Jared wasn't with us.