Chapter Eight

I spent the rest of the day writing down everything I could remember about the tribe stories Sam used to tell me. When I realised the phasing was due to 'the cold ones', I ended up finding out the Cullens were vampires but they had left Forks so hopefully no other boys would phase. Creepy. Who would want to live forever?

Kim came round on Sunday and we spent the entire day organising my wardrobe so that I had some 'decent' outfits put together as Kim told me. She was a little upset that I didn't have a wider selection of clothes but she was going to take me shopping to buy more. She also quizzed me like crazy on Paul.

'Tell me what's going on between you two' she demanded.

'It's nothing, just a little flirting and some kissing'

'That's hardly nothing Katie' she protested.

'Not like it's gonna go anywhere' I shrugged, 'He could imprint on anyone at anytime and I could get imprinted on by any new member of the pack'

'You'd look cute with Paul'

'We haven't even spoken about it Kim. I doubt he feels the same way'

'Jared told me that Paul was pretty starstruck by you. Which is really something' she told me.

'Doesn't matter anyway. No matter what he's said'

'There might be a chance'

'Doubt it. One of us is sure to end up heartbroken if we did try it'

'So you've thought about it?' she teased.

'Maybe a little' I confessed sheepishly.

'I knew it!' she cheered.

'Shhhhhh, they're downstairs. I'd rather they didn't hear us'

'Who, Sam?'

'Yeah. He went crazy when I got home from the party. He'd go crazier at the thought of me being interested in Paul'

'He would get used to it'

'Maybe, maybe not'

'Stop being so emotionless about this! Be happy you have an interested guy. One leads to many' she sang.

'Any at all leads to angry brother and sad Katie' I sang back.

She sighed heavily and then a smirk appeared on her face.

'Whatever you're thinking the answer is no' I told her before she could even ask me anything.

'Please, I just wanna do make overs' she begged 'I won't shut up till you agree'

'I figured. Want me to do you first?' I asked.

'Can you?' she asked sceptically.

'Wouldn't offer if I couldn't' I replied.

She sat on my desk chair as I straightened her naturally wavy hair and did her make up a mixture of browns and greys which really complimented her skin tone. It took a while but once I was done, I was pretty impressed with how she looked.

'Wow, nice! Your turn now'

Kim made me switch places with her in the chair and she started to curl my hair using straighteners which impressed me a lot cos I could never figure out how to do that. She then clipped a few strands back so it didn't hang over my face too much.

I was a little worried when she started using different shades of green to do my eye make up but Kim reassured me she knew what she was doing. 

'All this green makes me feel like a witch'

'You look fine Katie, can we go show Emily now you're done?'

'Only if she comes up here'

'No, we need to go downstairs'

'But the pack are down there'

'Exactly, we need to show Paul what he is missing'

'No'

'Yes, now come on'

Kim pulled me up and dragged me downstairs, calling for Emily as we went.

'I'm in the kitchen' Emily replied.

We went into the kitchen and thankfully, only Emily was in there, the boys weren't.

'We did makeovers' Kim announced.

'You both look gorgeous' Emily complimented us with a smile.

'I feel like a cake with all this make up on' I told them grumpily.

'You don't look like one Kitty' Paul grinned at me as he came into the kitchen.

I rolled my eyes at him as he came over and gave me a small hug.

'Where are Sam and Jared?' Emily asked him.

'Helping a new pack member. Embry Call. I was unhelpful so Sam sent me back here' he explained.

'Who is Embry?' I asked.

'He's younger than us by a few years' Kim told me 'I didn't realise he was a potential pack member though....' she trailed off.

'Why not?'

'We don't know who is father is, so a prominent senior member of the pack must've been unfaithful' Paul told me.

'Oh'

'Might be best not to bring it up to Sam or Embry though' Paul told me.

'Wait, I thought the Cullens had left? How come Embry phased?' I asked.

'That's what we gotta find out once Embry can phase back'

I noticed that Kim and Emily had left at some point during our conversation so it was just Paul and I left together in the kitchen.

'So Emily says I need to talk to you' Paul said.

'Go on then'

'You don't make anything easy do you Kitty Kat?'

'Nope'

'Okay then, um, straight to the point' he sighed 'I want us to be together Kitty. I want you to be my girlfriend'