Witchcraft 101

Though I had no problem staying alert for Mr. Trein's lectures, it was a different case for the students sitting beside me. At regularly timed intervals, I ensured Ace and Deuce would not succumb to a sleeping spell. If I saw the slightest sign of the two zoning out or dozing off, a little nudge from me brought them back to their senses.

I was finishing writing some notes when Mr. Trein's statement instantly caught my attention, "The field of wizardry allowed other magical practices, such as witchcraft, to evolve."

The professor caught sight of me raising my hand, "That information is incorrect, Mr. Trein."

Students stirred and began to murmur amongst themselves. They probably thought I was out of my mind for speaking up against our history professor. Then again, this might be the most exciting thing they may witness in history class.

I continued, "Witchcraft is the oldest magical practice in the world. Everything we have, such as wizardry, wouldn't be possible without witchcraft."

Even everyday things, like blowing out your candles on your birthday, which is a form of candle magic, originated from witchcraft.

"Is that so?" Mr. Trein scanned the pages of the book in his hands, "Well, history is a collection of stories, often told from one party. Knowing all sides of the story will greatly influence your perceptions of the world and your experiences."

One student spoke up, "Witchcraft and wizardry are basically the same thing."

His buddy beside him added, "A witch is a girl wizard. Why waste our time distinguishing the two?"

"No, it's not," I replied, "Grouping a witch and a wizard together is like mixing water and oil."

Noticing my frustration, Mr. Trein motioned towards the clear path between the desks, "Ms. Salvatori, you have the floor."

Ace whispered, "School 'em, Cassie."

I rose from my seat and stood in the center of the classroom. Dozens of eyes focused on me from all sides.

I began, "Before there were scientists and doctors, villages and towns had wizards, whom they relied on for any problem, whether it be an illness or failing crops. Being a wizard was a highly respected position, and one that brought home an impressive paycheck. Now-"

"So, wizards came first, end of story," an Octavinelle student in front of me interrupted, "there's no need for this long lecture."

"Excuse me, I don't like being cut off as I speak."

"What are you going to do, witch? Curse me?"

I shook my head, "You're not worth my herbs or my time."

Before things could take a turn for the worst, Mr. Trein interjected from behind his desk, "Gentlemen, the first rule in my class is that while someone is talking, everyone is listening. Failure to do, will land you in detention. Now, Ms. Salvatori, please continue."

With everyone silenced, I proceeded, "Those wizards received their education from witches, who had been practicing their craft for generations. The wizards refined the practices of witchcraft, structured it and shaped it, allowing wizardry to be created."

I always thought of wizardry as a science, for every problem, there was a solution. If someone wanted to learn something, all they had to do was read a book. Experiments could be run to test theories and discover possible new spells.

Witchcraft, on the other hand, was an art. While it had its own set of rules, like having good intentions and not doing harm onto others, it allowed for creativity and individuality. Someone can use books, crystals, sigils, candles or any other method they wanted. There could be a hundred witches in a room and no two of them will have the same practices. Witches could even exchange methods between themselves, allowing their craft to continously evolve.