Glorious Masquerade Part 9

Idia, Malleus, and Azul continued to hurry up the hidden staircase in order to reach the top of the tower. Occassionally, they glanced over their shoulder, hoping to see Cassie running to join them. Not even when they reached the top did they see the witch.

Much to their surprise, the Bell of Salvation, which reflected the light of the moon on its metallic exterior, remained unguarded.

It all seemed too easy.

"Finally," Idia said in relief, "I'd like to clear this whole mission that is ringing the bell."

Malleus nodded in agreement, "Yes, but before we do that, it would be rather of rude of me to not greet our host."

Azul and Idia looked at one another in confusion.

"Good evening, Flamm," Malleus grinned to the surrounding darkness, "I thought it was a mistake that you dropped us in the ground, so we came here."

The student council president of Noble Bell College decided to come out of hiding. The heels from his shoes clicked against the stone floor, "I don't mind if you're an uninvited guest. I will treat even the rudest of guests with respect."

The group took a couple of steps back at a field of crimson flowers that grew on the floor before them. "It's truly comical watching your reactions," Rollo motioned to the vines wrapping around the pillars, "Why are you afraid of this beautiful flower? Is magic that important to you?"

Azul countered, "Magic is power each one of us has taken time to cultivate and refine over the years. Do you think anyone would be happy to have it taken away from them?"

"Wrong! It's a dangerous power that seduces people! You all are monsters, indulging and relying on your magic. I'm not like you. I'm not afraid to lose my magic."

Idia stepped forward, "Admit it Rollo, you only despise magic because you hate yourself. You couldn't help your brother who was suffering in front of you."

All color immediately faded from the Noble Bell student' s face. His nails dug into the palms of his skin.

"We know what happened. We know why you hate magic so much," Azul joined in, "It was in your diary."

"What're you talking about?" Rollo gritted. "You have no idea what you're saying!"

"You call us 'fools' but you're the one playing the role," Malleus shook his head. "Cassie found your diary."

Rollo's brother was born with an incredible capability for magic, which manifested at an early age. To have a child with an early development for magic can be a double edged sword. It can be more difficult for them to control.

One day, Rollo and his brother were playing outside, as children would. Except, Rollo's brother was using his magic as the source of entertainment. An innocent game quickly escalated when the brother's magic grew out of control. Unfortunately for him, Rollo was incapable of magic at the time. The only thing he could do is watch his brother scream for the pain to stop and his life slowly drain away from him.

Even though blot did not accumulate as much in children, their magic could still be dangerous if not properly controlled.

The Dorm Leader of Ignihyde tried to provide some kind of comfort, "What happened to you brother was awful, but you shouldn't blame yourself for what happened to him."

"You're wrong!" Rollo shouted, "It wasn't me who couldn't do anything! The wizards all around us had the power but they didn't save my brother."

"You misdirect your anger. You get frustrated and go on a rampage because your life didn't turn out the way you thought it would. If you wan to ruin your own life, why drag others down with you?"