The Invitation Part 1

"Rock, paper, scissors, shoot!"

I managed to grab the pillow in time before Trey hit me with the toy hammer. I was pleasantly surprised at his quick reflexes.

While lunch finished baking in the oven, Trey, Cater, Deuce, Ace, Riddle and I thought to pass the time with a friendly, competitive game of 'Rock, Paper, Scissors.'

Deuce and Ace truly provided hilarious entertainment, but they were eliminated early on once Riddle stepped in. I eliminated Cater, while Trey got Riddle out after a lengthy struggle.

Finally, it all came down to Trey and I. This was for all of the marbles.

"Again!" Ace called out, "Rock, paper, scissors, shoot!"

I won the round, but I found myself grabbing the pillow while Trey naturally went for the hammer. We all erupted into chuckles and chortles at our mistake.

"Come on! Focus!" I urged while trying to calm my own laughing fit.

Trey and I pulled ourselves together, only to shortly lose it afterwards.

Grim rolled his eyes, "Seriously, you are hopeless."

"How about we all take a break?" Cater suggested.

In response to his proposition, the timer on the stovetop and the doorbell rang.

"Mail delivery!" someone said from outside. Opening the entrance door stood the mail ghost, "Delivery for Cassandra Salvatori?"

"That's me."

"Have a good day, miss," the ghost tipped his hat after he handed me a white envelope.

My hands began to tremble at the emblem on the bronze wax seal. It was after reading the first line from the letter inside I let out a scream of joy. The Heartslabyul group and Grim ran to me in a panicked frenzy.

"What is it?!"

"What's wrong?!"

"Where's the fire?!"

Like an excited child showing their parents the participation prize they won, I showed them the letter, "I got an invitation from Genovia International Academy of Witchcraft!"

"The who? The what? The where?" Deuce's eyes widened in confusion, "What're you talking about?"

Located in the Rose Kingdom, Genovia International Academy of Witchcraft was my dream school to attend. Like the students of Night Raven College, witches with the greatest magical potential were specifically chosen to enroll. It was also one of the first schools the students of the Witch Sisters helped to establish.

As a little girl, I dreamed of attending the legendary school of witchcraft while my brother yearned to go to Night Raven College. Look at how great things turned out.

While not everyone was fortunate enough to be selected, the school wished to provide learning opportunities to all witches. Every year, the school held the Witchcraft World Conference, where students from around the globe were invited. During the first two days of the conference, the guests would learn from world renowned witches on current research and magical developments. There would also be workshops for witches to improve on their own magical skills and practices. On the third and last day, an enormous party would be held and a surprise celebrity would perform for the invitees. 

This felt more surreal than the ebony carriage allowing me inside instead of my brother.

This was something meant for me.

"Are you going to go, Cassie?" Riddle asked.

"It would be foolish of me to not go," I looked again at the paper, "The conference is next week. I'd leave on Friday after class and come back on Sunday night."