𝘍𝘐𝘍𝘛𝘠 𝘌𝘐𝘎𝘏𝘛

┏━━━━━━༻❁༺━━━━━━┓
you could stay here with us
┗━━━━━━༻❁༺━━━━━━┛

𝘚𝘺𝘭𝘷𝘪𝘦'𝘴 𝘗𝘖𝘝

"Though she has now departed, let us honour her bravery and sacrifice in the line of duty" The minister announces "Through her memory, let us pursue what is just and right"

With my arms wrapped tightly around my little sister, I allow a tear to slip down my face as my eyes meet the large picture of Sheriff Peterkin.

"As we commit her body to the ground, ashes to ashes, dust to dust, we shall remember to uphold the ideas which she stood for" The man declares.

A hand is placed on my shoulder and I freeze up in fright, turning my head slowly to see Rafe. Although my brother doesn't look down at me, his eyes straight ahead emotionlessly, he rubs small circles on the skin my shoulder in what I assume is supposed to be comfort, but it sends shivers down my spine.

I turn my head back to the front and imagine that the hand on my shoulder is that of a brother who loves and cares about me, letting me relax slightly.

Soon the funeral is over and Wheezie clutches onto me tightly as we head to the car, slipping into the back seat.

My little sister has barely left my side since Sarah was lost at sea, she sleeps in my bed most nights and even sits on the toilet while I shower with the excuse of keeping me company, but I know she's the one in need of comfort.

Rafe silently slips into the seat next to me and Wheezie lays her head on my shoulder as the car starts up, our father driving us all back to the house.

Once we reach the house, I remember that I have somewhere to be and I let go of Wheezie's hand, pausing outside the front door.

"What are you waiting for?" Wheezie asks in confusion, the others already inside.

"I have something that I need to do" I answer vaguely.

"Why?" She questions, a panicked expression on her face.

"Wheeze" I sigh, taking a hold of her hands "I'll be back later, okay?"

"Promise me you'll come home" She pleads.

"I promise you" I assure her.

The little girl reluctantly lets go of my hands and I press a kiss to her head before grabbing my bike. She watches from the door step as I pedal the bike away, heading towards the chateau.

I reach the run down home and hop off of my bike, leaning it against the porch. I head around to the back yard and I find the Pogues sitting around with gloomy expressions. Writing on the old oak tree catches my attention and I frown deeply, my heart aching.

2003-2020
JOHN B ROUTLEDGE
P4L

"What took you so long?" Kiara snaps and I turn to her, an unimpressed expression on her face.

"I was at a funeral" I deadpan, gesturing to the black dress I'm wearing.

"And they're more important than our dead friend. More important than your sister?" Kiara scoffs and my heart sinks in pain.