𝘚𝘐𝘟𝘛𝘠 𝘚𝘐𝘟

┏━━━━━━༻❁༺━━━━━━┓
i'll always be second best
┗━━━━━━༻❁༺━━━━━━┛

𝘚𝘺𝘭𝘷𝘪𝘦'𝘴 𝘗𝘖𝘝

There is a knock on my bedroom door and I look up from my book to see my father's face staring back at me. The first thing I notice is the stressed look on his face and the second thing I notice is my suitcase in his hand.

"Sylvie, I need you to listen to me okay?" He starts, taking a few steps into my room and I sit up.

"What is happening?" I ask in a worried tone.

"Everything is fine. I just need you to come with me" He says but I'm distracted as Rafe appears at the door too.

"Dad, let me take that" Rafe speaks up, holding out his hand for the red suitcase.

Our father hands Rafe my case and the boy gives me a reassuring half smile before walking away with it, heading downstairs.

"I need to go to Nassau and I don't want to leave you alone" My dad lies to me and I scoff.

"Don't act worried for my loneliness. You don't trust me, so you're keeping me at arms length so I can't go running to the cops" I spit out with a glare.

"I know you and your friends were there that night and I know that they are looking for that gun, Sylvie" He admits with a dark expression on his face, making my heart drop.

"I didn't say anything" I promise and I swear his expression softens just a little.

"Of course you didn't" He nods.

I close my book and put it under my pillow, slowly pulling my knees to my chest as I stare up at my father cautiously. The man lets out a frustrated sigh and sits down on my bed, making me feel extremely nervous.

"Have I ever told you how much you remind me of your mother?" He speaks up eventually.

"No" I breathe out.

"You've got her smile and her tendencies of getting into trouble" He tells me and I can't help the small smile that tugs at the corner of my lips.

"Rafe told me once that I remind him of her. He said that it sets him off sometimes" I admit, looking down at my knees "Is that why you hate me, Dad? Do you hate me because I remind you of Mom?"

I hear him inhale sharply and his hand shakily reaches for my own, I let him.

"Sylvie, you're my daughter and I love you. I know I may have favourited Sarah and I'm sorry for that. Things will be different now" He explains to me but I feel nothing but hurt.

"You love me now...because she's dead?" I question, looking him dead in the eyes and he notices his mistake, opening his mouth to backtrack "Don't bother making excuses, Dad. I know I'll always be second best to Sarah"

"You're not second best" He tries to argue.

"Yes, I am. We all are" I argue with him, pulling my hand from him "I know it, Rafe knows it, Wheezie knows it!"