We cried together

May 23rd, 1985- current time

"Freddie, what do you mean?" I asked, confused. I knew nothing about AIDs, I've only heard about it a few times.

"I have AIDs... it's a disease that destroys the immune system over time. I want to perform, Brooklynn, God knows I do... But I'm sick." He began to cry.

I was crying too. My best friend dying. Leaving the world behind. I didn't believe it.

"No." I said.

"What do you mean, no?" He asked, confused.

"You're not dying. Not yet, at least. I refuse to believe it." I told him. We were both crying

"Brooklynn, I'm sorry, dear." He said again.

"I went to the doctor." He continued. I closed my eyes, trying to keep my composure.

"I have an estimated 10 years at the most." He finished.

"Please, Freddie... Please stop." I asked him, trying my best not to start bawling.

I hugged him, and cried into his shoulder. Why, God? Why him? I cried and cried. He cried with me. He both cried together. "Everything will be alright, I promise." I told him.

"We're gonna carry on with life and live it as any other day." I continued, taking sobs in between every word.

"You're gonna meet your Goddaughter and GodSon, and be the best damn Godfather ever." He was silent, but I could feel his tears.

I held him tighter

"This is just a setback... you're gonna continue to live your life and spend it with the ones you love. You aren't doomed... your chapter isn't finished." I finished.

He then lifted his head up, and held my head in between his hands, and kissed my forehead.

"I'm gonna perform at Live Aid, and blow everyone away." He told me.

I wiped my tears, and his. "You're gonna blow everyone away, Fred."  I repeated to him, with a smile on my face.

I hugged him again, and we stayed like that in silence for a few minutes. 

"Who else knows?" I asked him, breaking the silence.

"Only you and Jim... I wanna keep it that way until I'm ready." He said.

"I understand." I told him.

We both then sat up, and he stood and stretched.

"You should get going, darling. Go home to your husband, I need to call the guys and decide which songs we're performing." He told me.

I looked over to him and gave a small smile.

"I love you, Fred." I said, sincerely.

He then gave me one last hug. "I love you back, Bea." He told me, and he began to walk me out, and we didn't say another word to eachother.

I took one last glance at him before getting inside of the limo, and he was waving.

The car ride was silent, like usual, but this silence was different. It was too silent.

Words can't describe how I'm feeling... I feel broken, but I can't be that way. I have to be strong for Freddie.

How can I be? How can I stay strong as if my best friend didn't just tell me he's dying? We're all dying slowly day by day, but why does he have to leave so soon. 10 years?

I stared out the window for the rest of the ride home.