8 - Inanimate

Sashas POV:

"Care to tell me where you've been?" Connie raises his voice from the couch, eyeing me as I walked through the door.

It was now 1:45 AM, I had spent hours at the stranger's house getting lost in many conversations as he worked on his craft. I hadn't even noticed the time until I stepped outside to see the moon greeting me. She gave me a subtle warning about what was to come as she followed me home.

I start to walk into the house, ignoring his angry words. I don't feel like dealing with an angry Connie. It was something I've never had to experience, and today wasn't going to be the day to start.

"Not really." I toss my keys into a small glass bowl on a side table, making my way into the kitchen.

"Sasha Braus."

I look over at Connie, who was side-eyeing me from the couch.

"Connie Springer." I mimic his tone, trying to lighten the mood.

The last thing I wanted to do today was to fight with him, knowing it wouldn't end well at all.

"You think you're being funny right now?" He continues to play his video game, his gaze focused on the screen in front of him. "You're just going to act so carefree after not telling me where you were going for hours, ignoring my calls, ignoring my texts, and then just showing up out of the blue? You were supposed to come straight home after the rain stopped."

"Connie, don't be like that." I try to retreat to my room, walking carefully towards the stairs.

"No, Sasha. You know I like to keep tabs on where you are." His voice sends shivers down my spine, turning the air around me cold.

I sigh, rolling my eyes at his remark.

"Seventy-two calls, Connie. Seventy-two calls. That's insanity." I look over at him, crossing my arms.

He was barely paying attention to me, his headphones booming with voices as he played video games. One thing I hated was getting in arguments over dumb stuff, but what I hated more was arguing with someone and then being ignored.

"How was I supposed to know you were okay?" He retorts, throwing his headphones to the side and standing up. His stance was defensive, his hands balled up in fists. I never liked when Connie was mad. It never ended well.

"For all I know, you could've been dead in the streets. You were supposed to text me before you left work, I trusted you to text me before you left work. How was I supposed to know you didn't end up in a car accident due to the wet roads? You need to start thinking Sasha, don't be an airhead."

I clenched my jaw at his words. I knew a part of him was right, I should have told him I was going out. However, he wasn't my parent. I don't owe him an explanation for anything. Half of the time I didn't know where he was. He loomed over me like a puppeteer, controlling and watching me from miles away. It felt like he had strings attached to me, manipulating everything I did, said, and more. I don't feel free anymore. I am a bird in a small metal cage.

"Why are you being such a helicopter parent?" My God Connie half of the time I don't even know where you are, so why do you need to constantly know where I am, the people I'm with, and my plans? Do you do the same for Jean?" I spat in defense, slamming my stuff on the counter.

"This isn't about him." He inhales a deep breath.

"So, you don't. Got it." I nod, putting my lips into a line.

"I didn't say that."

"You implied it."

"No, I didn't." He slams his fist into the couch, sitting back down.